Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Got me a Tamiya "WILD WILLY" (1982) 13 years 3 months ago #554

HI!... The opportunity came to to buy this Tamiya "WILD WILLY", so I took it. This is a original, (1982) not a re-re. It's in pretty good shape. I need to restore it but 98% is there. Should be a nice little shelfer when it's done. I'll update this thread as the restoring goes.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Got me a Tamiya "WILD WILLY" (1982) 13 years 2 months ago #575

That looks like a good starting point for a restoration.
You have found the most common version of the early Wild Willy, the Long Wheel Base (LWB).

The first WW1's were made witha shorter wheelbase (SWB). The idea was probably to have it as fun as possible (doing wheelies) but I suspect the handling was too poor on the SWB.
So, they made a LWB version. The easiest way to spot the difference is to look at the "Arm Stay" at the side of the radio box, front supporting point for the rear suspension.
The hole in the Arm Stay is oval on the LWB, and circular on the SWB.
There are in addition quite a few other differences between the two, mainly in the gearbox, and motor mount area.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.