Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Greetings from Singapore 13 years 6 months ago #195

I live in Singapore and my first Tamiya is a Hotshot, bought back in 1985, which I still have and restored several years ago. I have since rediscovered R/C, especially vintage Tamiyas in 1999 and have been collecting, building and running since.

I now have more NIB, partially completed kits, restoration projects and other R/C items to last me (and my kids) a long time.

Anyway ... I'm from the '80s era, so my interests date back to early Tamiya static and R/C kits.

I also collect selected Kyoshos and some of the modern kits from Axial and X-Ray.

I'm a member of Tamiyaclub by the same userid.

Hope to be able to contribute and learn here too.

Cheers,

Kelvin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Greetings from Singapore 13 years 6 months ago #196

Hi Kelvin,
Welcome to TamiyaBase.com!

Singapore is such a great place. I have been there quite a few times the last couple of years, visiting Jurong Shipyard and Keppel Fels. It's always nice to fly to Singapore from Norway, especially at this time of year when we have sub zero temperature, and Singapore is somewhere around 30-35 degrees C.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: Greetings from Singapore 13 years 6 months ago #197

Hi Lars,

Thanks. Perhaps you have visited the Tamiya showroom in Singapore? We are quite lucky to have a well stocked distributor here, although vintage stuff is very hard to come by in this small island.

Cheers,

K

Re: Greetings from Singapore 13 years 6 months ago #198

Actually, I have never made time to visit the Tamiya Showroom, but I sure will after checking it out on tamiya.com, It looks cool.

It's just a shame the airplanes have luggage weight limits :laugh:

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: Greetings from Singapore 13 years 6 months ago #203

I lived in Singapore for three years in the 1980's. I got my first Hilux from a shop in one of the Plazas on Orchard Road I seem to remember. There was some place on the north of the island, called Thompson Road I think, which was like a collection of market stalls where you could buy cheap Tamiya RC kits at that time.

Great memories. :)

Re: Greetings from Singapore 13 years 6 months ago #204

Yes, there were a few shops along Orchard road back then selling amongst other electronics equipment like Walkmans. I bought my first Hotshot at one of these stores - good memories.

The number of hobby stores are now limited due to online sellers, so only the very capable survive. There is a hobby store in Far East Plaza that stocks some Tamiya, but mainly XRay and some China made nitro stuff.

For Tamiya, your best bet is the Tamiya showroom along Paya Lebar Road. They are fully stocked with complete accessories and hop-ups -- it's like going to Toys r Us for me everytime I visit.

Re: Greetings from Singapore 13 years 6 months ago #205

psychoatom wrote:

Yes, there were a few shops along Orchard road back then selling amongst other electronics equipment like Walkmans. I bought my first Hotshot at one of these stores - good memories.

The number of hobby stores are now limited due to online sellers, so only the very capable survive. There is a hobby store in Far East Plaza that stocks some Tamiya, but mainly XRay and some China made nitro stuff.

For Tamiya, your best bet is the Tamiya showroom along Paya Lebar Road. They are fully stocked with complete accessories and hop-ups -- it's like going to Toys r Us for me everytime I visit.

Ahh Walkmans. I got a Walkman 2 from Lucky Plaza, and I don't think we even paid tourist prices!. I even remember the old colonial style C K Tang building on Orchard Road, before they built that new store.

Paya Lebar Road sounds like a good place to visit.....if I ever get back to Singapore ;)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.