Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: The Dylan Project: My old Grasshopper rebuild 11 years 5 months ago #15416

As I tore this one down I had tons of ideas to build another one but do it full tilt custom. The FX-10 suspension upgrade looks like a huge upgrade from the basic Hopper suspension in the front. Like the look of it as I have seen them on other Hoppers out there. The CRP Grasshopper kit (one I have) puts the shocks too upright for my taste for looks but way better than the springs only on the front. No matter it is a blast to drive for fun! :P

BTW, I like yours too. What wheels are those?

Shawn
Current Project: The Dylan Project Grasshopper

My Projects in the works: The Fighting Frog, The Restoration of my Fox, Back in the Day Blackfoot Racer, The JRX-2's, Yokomo YZ-10's of fury x3

I'm not a Re-re yet!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: The Dylan Project: My old Grasshopper rebuild 11 years 5 months ago #15422

They're DT-02 wheels (by Carson), combined with Frog hex adapters on the rear. :)
Got some other nice stuff on it too - like Hornet rear dampers and Super Hornet front dampers and suspension arms.

Lots of fun and cool modifying possibilities on the good 'ole G-Hopper.
The metal brackets are definitely better than plastic at least, which tend to break easily.
Even if mostly vertical shocks is really more of an on road setup...

I'll definitely be putting the carbon reinforced (black) uprights from the F103 (#54154) on the car too.
And have a go at the 3rd (or maybe even 4th?) rear shock mod.

B)

Re: The Dylan Project: My old Grasshopper rebuild 11 years 5 months ago #15485

So as today was Thanksgiving here in the US, it was a day of food and football (american), I decided to get a little work done on the DP:Hopper. I broke down the front shocks and rear shocks for a cleaning, swap out the o-rings and re-oiling. I also had painted a set of wheels to see what they looked like. So here are the pics:

Shocks broken down:

Shock cleaned up:

Shocks and wheels. Losi 5wt oil for the rear shocks and CRP 15wt for the fronts:

Found my paperwork and instructions for the rear shock upgrade and the CRP front suspension. Going to scan those and post those up. I'll add them to this post in a bit.

Shawn

My Projects in the works: The Fighting Frog, The Restoration of my Fox, Back in the Day Blackfoot Racer, The JRX-2's, Yokomo YZ-10's of fury x3

I'm not a Re-re yet!

Re: The Dylan Project: My old Grasshopper rebuild 11 years 5 months ago #15516

Looking good so far. Those scans would be great! :y:

Re: The Dylan Project: My old Grasshopper rebuild 11 years 4 months ago #15861

OK well I have been a bit busy lately but I got somewhat of an update. I cleaned the parts and got around to put this back together. Here are a couple pics of the parts. ;)

The whole sha-bang of parts:

The Grasshopper 2 front arms and tranny parts:

The Grasshopper's twigs and berries :silly: :

I started putting it all together and found that the Grasshopper 2 front arms were not going to work well with the CRP shock kit. I fit some yellow CVA's but it looked too unbalanced for me. So I went back to the G1 arms and put it all back together in preparation for the "3rd shock" upgrade. Want to make sure of everything. I did grease up the tranny and installed the bearings though so I don't take that all apart again.

It is raining right now so I haven't been able to spray the other set of Hopper wheels I have for the knobbies just yet but that is a formality. The shell is going in a brake fluid bath this week and I am currently working on the color scheme and decals in Illustrator and a bit of AutoCAD :P .

I got around to scanning the instructions for the Hornet shock upgrade and the CRP front Shock Upgrade Kit. Here they are for your reference pleasure! (they really aren't much though :laugh: )

CRP Front Shock Kit Instructions:

Tamiya Grasshopper/Hornet Rear Shock Kit:
Page 01

Page 02

I'm not a Re-re yet!

Re: The Dylan Project: My old Grasshopper rebuild 11 years 4 months ago #15862

Oh and if anyone wants I have Hi-Res scans of the instructions but due to size limitations for posting pics, I didn't put them up. B)

Shawn

EDIT: I uploaded the Hi-Res PDF's of these to the downloads>Leaflets & Adverts. They are awaiting confirmation from site Admin. :)

Edit #2: Thanks to Lars here are the links to the instructions I uploaded:
CRP-Grasshopper Front Shock Kit
Tamiya Grasshopper HP Rear Shock Kit

I'm not a Re-re yet!

Last edit: by hollowman.

Re: The Dylan Project: My old Grasshopper rebuild 11 years 4 months ago #15869

Oh and if anyone wants I have Hi-Res scans of the instructions but due to size limitations for posting pics, I didn't put them up. B)

Shawn

EDIT: I uploaded the Hi-Res PDF's of these to the downloads>Leaflets & Adverts. They are awaiting confirmation from site Admin. :)

Shawn, thank you for the uploads, they are now published :-)

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
The following user(s) Liked this: hollowman

Re: The Dylan Project: My old Grasshopper rebuild 11 years 4 months ago #15870

Awesome! Thank you sir. Going to link them here as well.

Shawn

I'm not a Re-re yet!

Re: The Dylan Project: My old Grasshopper rebuild 11 years 4 months ago #16647

OK it has been a while since my last update.. :whistle: The holidays have been in the way but I am working on getting this done before Christmas.. :blink:

I got the 3rd shock done and will be uploading pics with a write up with observations in a bit as well as painted the body and installed a Tamiya ESC I bought.. Kept things simple.. I thought I would share the decals I made up for the project as a teaser.. :P

What do you think?

BTW: I have 90% of these logos in Illustrator if anyone wants any of these.. I have a ton more as well.. I got all these from when I did drag racing back in the day from race sponsors..

Shawn

I'm not a Re-re yet!

Last edit: by hollowman.

The Dylan Project: My old Grasshopper rebuild 10 years 8 months ago #24281

Well hello again. It has been a while since I came on here. You know life gets in the way. Well any way i noticed that I never posted the finished photos of this project. Well better late than never huh? Here they are:

THE DYLAN PROJECT

Hope you enjoy the pictures. I had a blast rebuilding this for my nephew Dylan. He loves it. Now I have to get on rebuilding the rest so we can go bash around at the park some more.

Have my Blackfoot cleaned up and I will post that up as soon as I take some pictures.
See you on the next project.

Shawn

I'm not a Re-re yet!

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.