Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Chrome paint 6 years 3 months ago #47949

Has anyone come across a chrome paint, that actually has a resemblance to chrome once done, either paint or spray can?
TIA Alan :y:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Chrome paint 6 years 3 months ago #47954

Alclad looks really good, but it's lacquer based so I'm not keen on trying it - due to the stink & high probability of not playing well with types of paints :(

Chrome paint 6 years 3 months ago #47955

I found a lot of years ago, a can with a real chrome effect . The seller sold createx paints too. But my chrome can has no brand.

Chrome paint 6 years 3 months ago #47962

Alclad looks really good, but it's lacquer based so I'm not keen on trying it - due to the stink & high probability of not playing well with types of paints :(

Check this out Jonny, allegedly its not actually lacquer www.therpf.com/...04d313b607 It would appear the quality of the black gloss undercoat is the trick to it, and it would seem you cannot use clear coat on top so prone to wear :unsure:

Chrome paint 6 years 3 months ago #47967

A topic that really interests me.

I’ve tried alclad and looked up quite a few different products and watched review vids but have come across nothing that resembles chrome.
Alclad I would describe as a very thin thinner based metallic paint, I wasn’t overalls impressed but still have a bit in my paints.

I think I posted elsewhere but I went as extreme and invested in a hydrochrome kit, very expensive at £200. It’s almost magical in the process but require pre and post 2k lacquer. The hole process is very time consuming.

Finally and very well timed I have been recommended mototow liquid chrome and I have some being delivered tomorrow. It’s a pen but I’ll test that and air brush some with a tad of 2k lacquer on top for versatility.

I can report back if interested?

Rob

Chrome paint 6 years 3 months ago #47971

A topic that really interests me.

I’ve tried alclad and looked up quite a few different products and watched review vids but have come across nothing that resembles chrome.
Alclad I would describe as a very thin thinner based metallic paint, I wasn’t overalls impressed but still have a bit in my paints.

I think I posted elsewhere but I went as extreme and invested in a hydrochrome kit, very expensive at £200. It’s almost magical in the process but require pre and post 2k lacquer. The hole process is very time consuming.

Finally and very well timed I have been recommended mototow liquid chrome and I have some being delivered tomorrow. It’s a pen but I’ll test that and air brush some with a tad of 2k lacquer on top for versatility.

I can report back if interested?

Rob

Would be interested in knowing more about the hydro chrome ,Very interested to hear results Rob on the pen, will you be tempted to empty the pen and airbrush it, does it have to be used on gloss black like alclad? Would like to know if lacquer on top dulls it like most others as well, only a few questions for you to answer there my man :)

Chrome paint 6 years 3 months ago #47975

All the questions I have myself mate - great minds think alike :)

The below link on you tube is the best way to show hydrocrhome in action, it really does work as the video shows. Although what you cannot see if the preperation and finishing after this particular part of the process.

In a basic description, the part/job you are chroming needs to be pretty much perfectly finished, the smoother the better the finish. Next step is a special clear coat supplied in the kit. It's a 2k system, i.e lacquer and hardener but obviously special for this process. This then needs at least 24hrs to dry. They recommend days but this stuff goes off quite well in the right temperatures.

Then moving on to the actual chroming, its a simple sequence and requires a supply of pure water between phases. Sooo...

1.Activator 2.Water (washed down well) 2. double chamber of pre mixed solutions 3.Water (washed down well) 4. Neutraliser 5. water (washed down well).

The solutions, particularly the activator have pre mix times i.e. 48 hours before use. Then they have shelf lives once mixed.

Final stages is another 2k lacquer with special UV mix to finish it off. Normal lacquer turned the part yellow I found out. That confused me :P , but after their advice and something to do with UV being the other end of the light spectrum I realised I had the right stuff included in the kit.

So yes, a very involved process. For me it's extremely hard in my workshop (shed) to keep the condition perfect for spraying and getting 2 perfect clear coats. I have made it work though! Although a little more "metal/steel" looking than i'd like. I believe that it was too much UV lacquer.

Hopefully that wasn't all dribble and of interest!

Attachments:

Chrome paint 6 years 3 months ago #47984

Hey Rob, good info mate :y:
Although it looks more black chrome than chrome i quite like it (or is it better than pics show?)
A lot of hard work but a good end result i think, looking forward to seeing the pen results :y:

Chrome paint 6 years 3 months ago #47988

Look on tv the etron r8 in inside west coast custom. They chromed all the car. And explained how they did.

Chrome paint 6 years 3 months ago #47990

Hi Rob is this the stuff that you have already tried?

Is this hydro chrome on a bigger scale?

Last edit: by goldfish999.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.