Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Chrome paint 6 years 3 months ago #47991

Rob i dont know if you have tried this stuff yet
Ive got 2 on order with my pal in the states, appears its as good as alclad but more durable, meaning no top coat required for light use items, i have heard that no one has found a clear coat you can put on it that does not dull it tho haha
Let me know if you want ya name putting on one?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Chrome paint 6 years 3 months ago #47999

Yes, that's the kit I have, particularly the first one as it's has a double barrel pump. They do an extreme kit that I assume they use for automotive use.

I'm ok on the spaz mate, with a hydrochrome kit I think I'm almost done with experimenting in copy paints "again".

So I got the Molotow pens through today and gave them a quick whirl. First impressions are its the best copy chrome paint I've come across, but no cigar!!!

The conditions were not ideal and I didn't give it the full set up and preparation time I would have liked which always influences the outcome, but I am left with questions.

Here's what I found, attached is a pic. Off spur handles were done straight out of the pen and the on spur were airbrushed. I tried the pen first on a flat surface, it's quite impressive. It looks very metallic and then the paint settles and takes on a uniform shine, with a very little light blow to the surface it sped this up.

The airbrush was a little difficult as I wasn't sure how much paint to apply, "it seems" on first test it requires a good layer to almost let them paint settle but I must say it's cold and may have dulled the effect. Conclusion is I need to test in more ideal conditions.

I may have applied the lacquer too early but it brought out the metallic and look terrible. (On another test piece)

I'll have to test the versility of the once dried for a day or two.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Purple_rob.

Chrome paint 6 years 3 months ago #48000

Hi Rob, would you hydro chrome for customers, assuming the product was sent to you already in higloss black and you were happy with the black finish?
That pen dont look to bad, waiting with interest on your final verdict :y:

Chrome paint 6 years 3 months ago #48005

The handles do look quite impressive and seem to be dry this morning. I will definitely give it all more time over the weekend.

What do you have in mind for parts to be done? With this process I do not believe the base colour is important, it probably effects the finish slightly but on the Alclad it is important for depth.
I will defo consider other's parts if I can be confident on the finish, I really want to chrome another Lambo shell, ultimately.

This may be the part where Nudge has his input if he's reading as he sent some parts out professionally to get done, very pricey but fantastic.

I have put the whole thing on hold at the moment for a couple of things. 1. The temperature, not for my sake but "I think" again with the cold it will not finish as well as it could, the moisture in the products and air, apparently diminishes the finish. Bare in mind I have used this product about 3 times. With great result but I believe I can do better and there is always a learning curve.

2. which is the more significant one, its sooooo hard to do anything substantial with so many pump bottles HAHA, seriously! by the time you're on your 2nd or 3rd part your muscles and wrist are giving up. It's mainly because the double pump bottle gets clogged with the chemical chrome reaction. It's like a little silver plating builds up and you have to dismantle and clean the whole thing. So I am building a double spray gun. I have two top feed cheap spray guns and I will almost bolt together at the right angle to put solution A & B in. Not only will it atomise and mix the spray better but it should give a better result and make it a bit more pleasurable to do :P .

This is my type of subject.... I may do a Alclad comparison for us all.

I do also have to test the Molotow on something bigger with a flat surface, to be fair the handles are a bit small to even take a picture of.
The following user(s) Liked this: goldfish999

Chrome paint 6 years 3 months ago #48018

This guy does a fantastic review on Molotow which mirrors exactly what I was "trying" to put across.

It's a bit long but he experiments, plus clear coat. I don the same between out of the one and thinning, same result and sprays better thinned (obviously).

Thought I'd share as still looking around for inspiration on technique. I think for an at home/ fast DIY solution it's about the best that will be achieved and I'd be happy if I had no other alternative.

Have to try and make it more durable though...

Chrome paint 6 years 3 months ago #48031

So, I think this as far as I will go with the replica parts. They are clearly an improvement from my others and you can tell they are copies. I couldn't get a perfect finish on them, but I'm OK with that.

I found the Molotow paint quite hard to deal with, possibly needed to prime the part but it's hard to lay down a nice layer on such a small part.

Anyway, here's an example in the Molotow Liquid Chrome done with an airbrush. I have a couple for sale on eBay but I think I will move on to my own stuff now and put a hold on the repro bits.

Attachments:

Chrome paint 6 years 3 months ago #48032

They look very cool Rob, very impressive pal :y:

Chrome paint 6 years 3 months ago #48040

Yup, that turned out really nice, Rob. Well done!
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Chrome paint 6 years 2 months ago #48403

Rob i dont know if you have tried this stuff yet
Ive got 2 on order with my pal in the states, appears its as good as alclad but more durable, meaning no top coat required for light use items, i have heard that no one has found a clear coat you can put on it that does not dull it tho haha
Let me know if you want ya name putting on one?

I ordered one bottle to test chrome effect.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.