Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: 2013 Tamiyabase Calendar 11 years 8 months ago #12737

Thank you! :)

Even if you say you'll bear them in mind for the moment, could you please go slightly more in detail if the pictures violate any rules or such a thing. This would be a great help for me.

GregM it's not so much that you broke any "rules" because I didn't make any hard & fast ones as I didn't want to put people off, or stop myself selecting a picture that I felt was exceptional in some way.

The "guidelines" (I guess) are in my first post & elsewhere in this thread, IIRC they are:
* should be hi-res;
* ideally be of boxart cars from the first 150 - this is the focus of larbut, the owner/creator of this site
* could also be of customised/hopped-up/modified/restored cars (again from the the first 150) as I think this is the focus of the forums here
* could also be re-releases of early cars, as I don't differentiate too much between the two (even if this makes purists strike up a chant of "Burn the Witch!" ;) )

The only overiding "rules" are
* must be sharp/in focus
* the selections ultimately have to be my choice, I feel I can justify this for two reasons: 3 or more people can't agree where to go for lunch; and I'll be paying the printing costs up front with no guarantee of getting my money back in sales.

In addition to that, I want to include contributions from as many long term members as possible - I'm expecting a couple of submissions from one of the South African members (which will knock out two of my space-filling contributions, probably the Fox & the Sand Rovers). (see page 7 for the proposed layout so far)

I also have to think in terms of "is this a good calendar shot?" This is _not_ the same as saying a "reject" is a poor photo - just that I probably wouldn't want to look at it for a whole month.

There's also a question of whether a photo is too much like another one already selected - there does have to be variety.

So, the "problems" (if you see what I mean) with your first shot are:
- it's not from the first 150, and personally I don't see it as interesting enough to overlook that ... on the other hand, if you've got an action shot of it going sideways on the same background, that might have been different;
- you've come in near the end of the process, and the two slots remaining are earmarked for someone else;
- and from a purely technical standpoint, the framing is not the greatest (but could be "fixed" with cropping).

I see the "problems" with your second shot as:
- again, it's not from the first 150. Interesting level (for me) is again not that high -sorry :)
- there's an awful lot of sand in the photo - and we already have a lot of that :blink:
- it's not sharp - although TBH that is a function of the angle ... a "good" action shot for me will track the car so that stays in focus, and the background shows motion blur.

On reflection, I think your second shot is out, but your first is still in with a chance - compared to my "filler" shots, at least it's outside ... I really can't give you a firm answer until I see the additional shots I'm expecting.

:)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: 2013 Tamiyabase Calendar 11 years 8 months ago #12738

I think edou said it more succintly .. and a lot quicker :silly:

Re: 2013 Tamiyabase Calendar 11 years 8 months ago #12742

Johnny Retro, many thanks for the detailed reply. I'm totally fine with what you're saying. :)
For the BMW Z4, I don't have any good action shots. All what is left are these photos:
www.tamiyaclub....opic=66490
The original photos stored on my computer are however in much higher resolution and can be cropped if necessary. Still, this car might look a little bid odd next to all those other beautiful candidates for your calendar.

For the Sand Viper, well, it's really not a very detailed car, and I fully understand that this won't draw attention for its style. Most photos I took were a bit on the blurry side, you can see them here just for your interest:
www.tamiyaclub....opic=63515

Edou, thanks. It's a re-release Hornet. Yes, I do have, here you go:
www.abload.de/i...3muun6.jpg (scaled down to 1024 x 768, higher res available by request)
Runner: Sand Viper , Mad Bull , BMW Z4 Hatsune Miku , Kyosho Sandmaster EZ
Project: Hot Shot, Holiday Buggy 2010 (narrowed), Monster Beetle, Super Fighter G, MINI Cooper S 2006
Retired: The Hornet
Still NIB: King Blackfoot

Last edit: by GregM.

Re: 2013 Tamiyabase Calendar 11 years 8 months ago #12743

... It's a re-release Hornet. Yes, I do have, here you go:
www.abload.de/i...3muun6.jpg (scaled down to 1024 x 768, higher res available by request)

noW that is a much more interesting shot :y:

... apart from that massively out of focus blade of grass lower/centre right - looking at that for a couple of seconds made my right eye start to spasm :blink:

Re: 2013 Tamiyabase Calendar 11 years 8 months ago #12760

Same picture layout as before, but with proper credits. Errors/ommissions, please post :)

Cover

Tamiya 58100 Top-Force (1991) Custom
- Edou: Netherlands

January

Tamiya 58016 Sand Scorcher Mk.1 (1979) + scratchbuilt tools, etc
- Jonny Retro, UK

February

Tamiya 58017 B2B Racing Sidecar (1979)
- larbut, Norway

March

Tamiya 58405 Toyota Land Cruiser 40 (2008)
Photo taken in Sicily
- waterbok: Germany

April

58107 Tamiya Top-Force Evolution (1992)
My Top Force Evolution at Castle Hill Off Road track
- ozipanda: Sydney, Australia

May

Tamiya 58519 Bruiser (2012)
- Jonny Retro, UK

June

Tamiya 58016/58452 Sand Scorcher Hybrid (1979/2010) Custom
- Gingerspice, UK
Attachments:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: 2013 Tamiyabase Calendar 11 years 8 months ago #12761

July

SRB family, clockwise from top left:
Tamiya 58027 Ford F150 Ranger XLT (1981), 58016 Sand Scorcher (1979)
58034 Super Champ (1982), 58015 Rough Rider (1979)

- larbut: Norway

August

Tamiya 58050 Wild One (1985)
- zephyrin: Australia

September

Tamiya 58100 Top-Force (1991) Custom
- Edou: Netherlands

October

Clockwise from top left:
Tamiya 58014 Martini Mk.22 Renault (1979), 58053 Road Wizard Formula 01 (1986) JPS Livery
84111 Tyrrell P34 Six Wheeler (2010), 58052 Newman Porsche 956 RM.Mk.7 (1985)

- THE H.P FREAK: Canada

November

Tamiya 58051 Fox (1985)
- Jonny Retro: UK

December

Tamiya 58405 Toyota Land Cruiser 40 (2008)
- waterbok: Germany

Re: 2013 Tamiyabase Calendar 11 years 8 months ago #12762

Dropped my Sand Rovers in favour of this one from ozipanda:

Attachments:

Re: 2013 Tamiyabase Calendar 11 years 8 months ago #12764

now thats a very fine looking TF evo, not blurry at all :y:

btw think it would look cool if you could change the Germany in the March picture into Sicily B)

Re: 2013 Tamiyabase Calendar 11 years 8 months ago #12765

btw think it would look cool if you could change the Germany in the March picture into Sicily B)

The location is meant to be the location of the contributor, not the photo, but yes, I see what you mean :)

Re: 2013 Tamiyabase Calendar 11 years 8 months ago #12766

@ larbut - did you use a specific font for the site? The logo looks like Arial Black to me :blush:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds