Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Buggies (2wd off road) and wheels 12 years 3 months ago #5883

For my shock mounts, I'm thinking some bent meccano strip, five holes in length, two on each side vertical, the top hole to mount to the top shock mount. Just thinking laterally, not got the model in front of me. Will take some measurements and ask some questions at some point.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Buggies (2wd off road) and wheels 12 years 3 months ago #5887

12mm bearings will be too big to fit in the hex adaptors, you can get 10mm diameter but that dosent leave much meat on the adaptor, i have gone for 8mm diameter bearings.
the lunchbox uprights have wider axles on so you can fit super wide wheels no problem

Woah, slow down there. Bearings on the hex adaptors? If you're talking rear wheels, why do I need bearings? The wheels move with the rear drive shaft, so the only moving parts are in the gear box. If you're talking front wheels, do you mean the internal hex on the wheel?

I had assumed that the 12mm was flat to flat, not corner to corner. If its corner to corner then I'd drill out slightly to 9mm and use a 9x5 bearing, as the flat to flat is 8.5mm, so it would be easy enough to drill out to 9mm, perhaps use two bearings as they're only available in 3mm wide.

only on the front hex's. the 8mm bearings are 2.5mm wide so if you use the 7mm hex spacers then you can use 3 bearings, which would give you 0.5mm overhang to butt up against the upright to stop the hex wearing it out. if you use the wider stub axles and a 16mm hex then you would need a bearing at each end.
the hex's are 12mm across flats so a 9mm bearing should be ok
you can see the front hex adaptor on the front wheel of the hornet in the pic

Last edit: by agemax.

Re: Buggies (2wd off road) and wheels 12 years 3 months ago #5909

Woah indeed! Agemax is talking about 12mm 'across flats' of the hexagon, & the biggest you can sensibly drill them out for a bearing (For fitting on fronts of 2wd buggies) is 8mm (8 being a common/preferred bearing size, & leaving 2mm minimum meat all the way around for strength)

Re: Buggies (2wd off road) and wheels 12 years 3 months ago #5920

both hex adapters will work fine on the front without bearings if need be, the brass will wear quicker than the steel axles. just make sure they are well lubricated every time you take it out to play :evil:

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.