Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fox Pinion gear... 12 years 2 months ago #7864

• jpar63
  • jpar63's Avatar Topic Author
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
Just curious. I know the stock pinion gears for the Fox are 32p aluminum gears. For the sake of my stock counter gear (soon to switch to a metal alloy gear, getting one custom cut by a gear manufacturer), I don't like running aluminum pinions. I have both 32p Steel alloy and .6 Module Steel alloy pinions. Both the 32p & .6m seem to work just fine. Basically, I'm wondering what would be better for the life of my stock nylon (plastic, whatever it is) counter gear. Even though I am replacing the counter gear, I'd like to preserve it in case I need it again. This may be splitting hairs since both types seem to run perfectly smooth and quiet, I'm just curious about other's opinions on the issue. Thanks

EDIT: Before any one else jumps down my throat about it, I meant to say .8mod in this post, not .6. Sorry.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by jpar63.

Re: Fox Pinion gear... 12 years 2 months ago #7867

That is a subject you won't get everybody to agree on... ;)
Different experiences have led to different results.
But they should be interchangeable - if the number of teeth is big enough (thanks eddrick).
Even the Robinson site says so...
But given the choice, I'd say go with 0.6mod 'cause metric's what Tamiya uses.

:y:

Re: Fox Pinion gear... 12 years 2 months ago #7871

I think you must have one of those pitches mixed up - or they're not meshing as well as you think they are ... or the spur gear is already massively worn ...

32dp gears & 0.8 mod gears will mesh ok, although not technically the same, a 32dp pinion of a given number of teeth will also have a very similar outer diameter as a 0.8 mod pinion - important when so many Tamiya cars have "fixed" motor mount points.

48dp gears will mesh with 0.6 mod gears, but the 48dp gear will have a smaller outer diameter than a 0.6 mod gear with the same number of teeth, so unless your car has at least one "sliding" motor mount point, it won't work.

0.6 mod will not mesh with 0.8, 32dp will not mesh with 48dp, 0.6 mod won't mesh with 32dp, 0.8 mod won't mesh with 48dp ... I think that covers all the permutations :)

Re: Fox Pinion gear... 12 years 2 months ago #7875

Not the first pinion switcheroo on my side... :silly:
Normally the Fox has a 0.8 mod pinion (18T = 3515006 or 15T = 3515003) btw.

Re: Fox Pinion gear... 12 years 1 month ago #7915

• jpar63
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
Do a Google search for Tamiya Part #3515006, IT's a 32p pinion gear!

Re: Fox Pinion gear... 12 years 1 month ago #7916

• jpar63
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
And yes, sorry. I did mean to type .8 Mod in that post. I just realized when I read your reply. Sorry for any confusion.

Re: Fox Pinion gear... 12 years 1 month ago #7918

Do a Google search for Tamiya Part #3515006, IT's a 32p pinion gear!

I think both terms are often used for this size but officially it's a 0.8mod...

I did mean to type .8 Mod in that post.

I should have noticed really. ;)

Re: Fox Pinion gear... 12 years 1 month ago #7931

Tamiya being Japanese, I would've said it would be metric 0.8m rather than imperial 32dp. The 2 pitches are very close & will happily run together mismatched - the difference in sizes is less than the official backlash/clearance figure

Re: Fox Pinion gear... 12 years 1 month ago #8081

• jpar63
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
So, does this mean the inner ring (smaller gear) of the counter gear is .8mod also? I would assume so. Jeez, I accidently typed .6mod again the first time I wrote this post. LOL :blush: Do any of you know the pitch of the ClodBuster gearing? I was thinking of seeing if I could use a ClodBuster counter gear in my Fox but I seem to recall alot of Rock Crawler types using a different pitch gearing, maybe it's 48p, I forget.

Last edit: by jpar63.

Re: Fox Pinion gear... 12 years 1 month ago #8082

I would assume they're all the same size too. ;)
Clod Buster gears are also 0.8mod btw...

Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.