Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

decals 11 years 5 months ago #15007

• jay d
  • jay d's Avatar Topic Author
  • No Guts No Glory!
  • No Guts No Glory!
hi,I do not know if anybody out there has found this web site but i was having trouble finding letters numbers ect for the restoration of the shells i am doing but i have found a web site that does the above and also 'sponsors' logo sets,other bit too,not tamiya but very helpful when you are looking for detail its 'Barrys model lettering' UK

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: decals 11 years 5 months ago #15008

That looks like a useful site. Thanks. For reference the website address is
www.modellettering.co.uk/
The following user(s) Liked this: jay d

Re: decals 11 years 5 months ago #15011

I usually print my own - you can buy A4 sheets of white or clear self-adhesive sticker sheets for printing on inkjet printers (Look on Ebay or in stationary shops). All you need to do is find the suitable graphics to print, & have a computer with picture editing/scaling software (I just use "paint" & "Publisher", but there's much better ones out there). You usually have to wait for the ink to dry, then give the sheet a quick dust over with laquer to waterproof.

Nowadays, I've moved away from the self-adhesive sheets in favour of "waterslide" ones, as the material is much thinner & clings to body contours much better. Same method for printing though
The following user(s) Liked this: jay d

Re: decals 11 years 5 months ago #15019

• jay d
  • jay d's Avatar Topic Author
  • No Guts No Glory!
  • No Guts No Glory!
I have orderd somethings from him and will let you know

Re: decals 11 years 5 months ago #15020

@Eddrick, about waterslide decals, I had this thought for a lexan body (TF Evo), mirror print the decals, apply them topside on the inside, apply several layers of clearcoat then paint the coloured layers. What do you think, might it work?

Last edit: by waterbok.

Re: decals 11 years 5 months ago #15024

Can't remember where I read it exactly but I did see someone following this procedure succesfully. :y:
It'll protect the decals at least...

Re: decals 11 years 5 months ago #15028

I was more worried about the paint killing the decals :unsure:
Would hate to strip the TBG body of paint a couple of times.
Maybe I could try it on some cheap body.

Re: decals 11 years 5 months ago #15030

Or try a small bit on the access lexan from the TBG shell...
Guess it depends a lot on the paint you're using.

Re: decals 11 years 5 months ago #15033

Waterbok, that's a thought that's been bugging me for a while too - problem is, the waterslide has adhesive on the back of it, & whilst it will still "cling" when applied wet the wrong way around, it won't be properly stuck when dry. Even leaving them in the water too long will have them peeling off when dry, unless you laquer over the whole lot.
Next thought was "Use clear stuff, print mirror image graphics, so they go down sticky side first, then paint white locally to show them up", but this would only work if you were careful to only paint white over the coloured bits (If that makes sense), so you don't end up with white showing through rather than body colour (eg like when doing lettering). If you're going to go to that extreme, you might as well just paint the graphics on & have done with it!

There was someone on here doing something similar but different, which worked really well, but unfortunately I can't for the life of me remember who it was!
- have a dig about in the old forum posts for other times it's been discussed, maybe "printing your own decals" or something.

Another option might be to use white waterslide, apply the wrong way around, then give the edges a dusting with clear (Automotive) laquer to keep them in place. THEN put the body colour on, only in light coats & let it dry properly between coats, to prevent any reactions/wrinkling. It would have to be a solvent based laquer, as lexan paints are likely to react with anything else. You might also have to wash the adhesive off the back of the waterslide, or there's the potential for a paint reaction there too.

As yet, I've not had the waterslides I've been using react with solvent based paint (It's designed to be ok with laquer, cos you have to seal the ink in before dunking the stuff in water), but I don't know how it would behave the wrong way around (re adhesive/paint reaction)

Obviously try any of this on a scrap shell first, just in case it goes horribly wrong

Re: decals 11 years 5 months ago #15034

RAKUDA - "Printing own decals" - print on white paper & use (High quality) double-sided tape to hold them in place. I was sceptical, but the ones he's done look really good

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.