Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

What has been your "best find"? 11 years 2 months ago #18890

I have mentioned some of my best finds in the past, so best not to repeat those. But here's a different one...

In 2009/2010 I made friends with a hobby shop owner of advancing years, who had his shop since the 80s. Not only did I buy many old stock vintage parts from him, but he had one of the large, early, all metal Tamiya paint stands in his store. With the huge plastic "Tamiya" banner at the top, and even a side rack for holding Tamiya paint markers.

It's definitely the vintage one as every shelf is labelled for a particular paint bottle, spray can or other accessory. It's about 6 feet tall. And some of the item labels are for things no longer manufactured, or that may have been changed over the years.

You still see modern ones in stores but they are usually all plastic and smaller.

This one even has a paint chart/guide card hanging on a string, off one side of the stand.

I believe there might be a picture of this stand in one of the old catalogues, from memory (Lars?). I'll have a look later. It was only ever available to retailers, and was probably only on loan from the distributor as well.

Anyway, when he closed the shop for the last time, I got it for free :) Along with all the remaining paint (although there was not that much). No doubt the distributor had long since forgotten about this old hobby shop.

But I had to drive 8 hours in one day, and disassemble and transport it home myself. But it was absolutely worth it :)

H.

www.rctoymemories.com
www.rctoymemories.com - A nostalgia site about vintage and retro radio controlled cars & other toys, from Tamiya, Nikko, Kyosho, Radio Shack and many more.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

What has been your "best find"? 11 years 2 months ago #18956

:y: duude

What has been your "best find"? 11 years 2 months ago #19084

My old orignal sand scorcher i found in my brothers attic sold it to him when i was a kid for 60 pounds bought it back just before christmas for a a few drinks at the local pub :)

Last edit: by Si06.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.