Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Found an original Sand Scorcher! 8 years 1 month ago #37437

I finally found one, within reach too. While the body may have seen some better days the chassis is there and in good shape. The radio box has a crack around ine of the mounting holes. Someone in the past changed the steering linkage, and the wheels and tires I believe. Either way its a good base for a project. I might sell my Fox now...

I wanted a set of these buggy champ wheels and tires on my re-re grasshopper, so I will likely be doing a switch around with the Grasshopper and the Sand Scorcher

Thanks for lookingn, cheers!
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou, TommieG, stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Found an original Sand Scorcher! 8 years 1 month ago #37438

That's a nice find - the wheelarches on the original bodies is a much nicer shape than every variant that's come since, and the chassis looks like it'll clean up nicely.

The steering rod ends looks to be vintage Parma replacements, but the studding (allthread) looks suspiciously brand new. The damage to the body looks minimal & nothing a bit of glue, filler & sanding wouldn't fix :y:

It does look like someone has systematically stripped the body of almost all the detail parts though :( - nose cone, front indicator (turn signal) lenses & bases, headlamp lenses & buckets, VW emblem, wipers, windows, sunroof, rear body mount parts, driver, exhaust & mounts, plus the rear antenna and base are pretty much identical in the re-release kit (if you don't mind using the new parts), but the licence plates, door handles, rear view mirrors and mounts are very different & might as well be considered unobtainium, or at least disproportionately expensive & rare. I did try a pair of repro licence plates a while back, but they were full of bubbles & had just crumbled to 1/8th" and smaller fragements in the post :( I don't know if they've improved since.

Found an original Sand Scorcher! 8 years 1 month ago #37439

Very nice find. :y: the wheeles arches are very thin and detailed. :y:

Found an original Sand Scorcher! 8 years 1 month ago #37440

Yep, I will be repairing this body, and I will likely order a repro body for the pieces, or use that body to run it and while its in the shelf I can put the original on.

Re:Found an original Sand Scorcher! 8 years 1 month ago #37443

Mmm shapeways would be a solution for the doorhandles. Anybody got decent measurements?

Re:Found an original Sand Scorcher! 8 years 1 month ago #37444

sorry. No original ss body for me :( Only rere ;)

Found an original Sand Scorcher! 8 years 1 month ago #37448

Darn.... looks almost like mine :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Attachments:

Last edit: by TommieG.

Found an original Sand Scorcher! 8 years 1 month ago #37449

The steering rod ends looks to be vintage Parma replacements, but the studding (allthread) looks suspiciously brand new.

CRP had several different steering rod kits with full threaded rods, as well as those same ball ends. Here's an example:

Attachments:

Last edit: by TommieG.

Re:Found an original Sand Scorcher! 8 years 1 month ago #37451

Mmm shapeways would be a solution for the doorhandles. Anybody got decent measurements?

What is shapeways? Sounds interesting. There is still one doorhandle on it, it would just have to be mirrored

Re:Found an original Sand Scorcher! 8 years 1 month ago #37452

Shapeways is 3D printing, but i believe the original handles are alloy.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.