Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Jun Watanabe Hornet 12 years 1 month ago #8643

From my memories of toy car club in the mid 80's, most people were running whatever they could afford/got for xmas. There were 2 of us running SRBs, there was a Frog & a Brat, 3 or 4 'Hoppers, an Audi Quattro & an FAV. The first hint of upgrading & new bought cars consisted of a Hotshot, a pile of Wild Ones (Cos we were all so impressed with the FAV's performance), followed swiftly by Boomerangs, a Bigwig, RC10s & PB Mini Mustangs. My brother upgraded his 'Hopper with the Hornet kit then took it to bits & built a special cos it was rubbish.... So, from what I saw, the only really popular car back then was the Wild One. Prior to that would've been Frog based stuff or 'Hoppers (Cos you couldn't afford a Frog...)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Jun Watanabe Hornet 12 years 1 month ago #8648

Thanks for the replies :P And yes, a lot of this (and especially my comments) are of course personal guesswork.

I also don't think it is Tamiya's #1 seller - my top 5 would be:
1 - Sand Scorcher - from the number on TC
2 - Monster Beetle - from the number sold on eBay (UK)
3 - Hotshot - reasons as above
4 - Lunchbox - every man & his whippet seems to have one
5 - Holiday Buggy - reasons as above

:)

Just a quick comment there, the Sand Scorcher certainly has a huge number on Tamiyaclub. But we should remember that TC is a site for collectors and enthusiasts. As the Sand Scorcher was considered (and still is considered) a rare jewel and the holy grail for many of the people who joined Tamiyaclub, it tended to be a popular restoration project supported by the communication of like-minded enthusiasts sharing parts around. So there was a strong bias in favour of the Sand Scorcher, among that community of grown-up kids who had originally longed to own one (but often didn't).

This doesn't reflect however, the behaviours of the wider public, certainly in Australia where I would still bet that the Hornet is the all-time best seller.

Likewise, I doubt the Monster Beetle really sold that strongly worldwide, compared to other models. If it had, wouldn't it have been among the first models re-released? It's been over 10 years now since the first re-release, and still no Monster Beetle. (This doesn't mean it wasn't a strong seller in the UK in particular, though.)

Another fun fact: in 1986, the biggest selling Tamiya of the year in Australia was the Fox, and I believe it also held the record for the most number of a single model sold in a single year, in Australia (at least it held this record for several years - not sure if it still does). This is actually a fact that was covered in some R/C magazines. :)

But to bring this back on topic, one other quick thing I'd say about the Watanabe Hornet is: It looks better for not having the fake sponsors. One thing I really dislike about all the re-releases is the fake stickers, and simply the fact that this version does not have those (despite its crazy colours) actually works in it's favour for me :P

It's ok, I know you all disagree :silly:

cheers,
H.
www.rctoymemories.com - A nostalgia site about vintage and retro radio controlled cars & other toys, from Tamiya, Nikko, Kyosho, Radio Shack and many more.

Last edit: by Hibernaculum.

Re: Jun Watanabe Hornet 12 years 1 month ago #8663

I think that shows the differing popularity of the different kits in different parts of the world then - in the 80's there were loads of SRBs here, I had 3 & didn't pay over a fiver for any of them! They fetch quite a bit more now, but I think that's more to do with the collector's favouring them due to the metal & engineering in them (Similar story with model steam engines). A quick look on Ebay UK will give you some idea of how many Monster Beetles & Blackfoots (Blackfeet?) were sold, the site is littered with them! As for the Fox, in the 80's there was 1 in the model shop that sat on the shelf until the shop closed 10 years later, & I've only seen 2 or 3 basket cases on Ebay UK. This site is the first time I've seen them in any number.
I'm still not sure about the Watanabe Hornet - I like the cow/dalmation paint job, but it doesn't really outweigh my need to stand with my back against the wall when I look at it, & that pink isn't girly or mincy, it's full-on getting kids in the back of your ice-cream van.... that cowboy bloke from silence of the lambs should be driving it

Re: Jun Watanabe Hornet 12 years 1 month ago #8672

You can also get the cow / dalmation trainers to go with the Hornet or vice versa!!
LOL......

www.freshnessma...pump-fury/

It could be that this is Jun's favourite colour scheme or just couldn't be bothered and copied one from the other!!!!!!

T

Last edit: by TIMECMDR.

Re: Jun Watanabe Hornet 12 years 1 month ago #8673

I guess that driving the Hornet requires those matching sneakers... :lol:

And maybe also a matching dog. :silly:

Attachments:

Re: Jun Watanabe Hornet 12 years 1 month ago #8674

Think my niece will like that car (and the puppy)

this is nice :woohoo:

Re: Jun Watanabe Hornet 12 years 1 month ago #8699

There for sale all ready & parts are ready . Purple parts :unsure: .

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.