Keyword

TOPIC:

Tamiya Holiday Buggy - Project Beach needs help! 11 years 3 months ago #17422

So, I've recently purchased a tamiya holiday buggy to build into a suitable basher for the beach.

So far, have purchased the tamiya dirt tuned motor, ball bearings, the carson wheel/tyre set (seem quite popular with these cars). I am desperate to paint the body and have all sorts of designs in mind, but just can't get up the confidence. Trying to persuade myself that it's mainly for the beach, and shouldn't really take any hard knocks.

The main thing that I really want is some paddle tyres for my rear wheels, but can't find any anywhere that would fit/look vaguely right. I had thought about the proline slingshot tyres but apparently they're diameter is 4.5" which is coming up to nearly twice the standard size! Trying to work out if the mad fighter wheels would fit. I then might be able to squeeze on some 1.9" sand thrashers. Anyone got any other ideas?

I'm also considering lipos but don't fully understand them. I know my charger can charge them, so that isn't an issue. Will they work with my standard esc, or do I need to change it?

Lastly, anyone know what size the standard wheel nuts are? I want to change mine for some slightly more discreet black ones

Will try and add some photos soon.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Tamiya Holiday Buggy - Project Beach needs help! 11 years 3 months ago #17435

Wheelnuts are M4 :)

Re: Tamiya Holiday Buggy - Project Beach needs help! 11 years 3 months ago #17436

Cheers for that! :y:

Re: Tamiya Holiday Buggy - Project Beach needs help! 11 years 3 months ago #17442

Haven't found an alternative for the tyres yet...
But if you got a TEU-104BK with the car, you should be alright running a 2S Lipo.

:y:

Re: Tamiya Holiday Buggy - Project Beach needs help! 11 years 3 months ago #17443

How about these on the standard rear rims?

I think you also need to be looking at oil shocks.

:)

Re: Tamiya Holiday Buggy - Project Beach needs help! 11 years 3 months ago #17446

Nice... exactly what I had in mind too but I couldn't find them at Conrad anymore.

Re: Tamiya Holiday Buggy - Project Beach needs help! 11 years 3 months ago #17457

@ Eduo Ah thanks, I will be trying it out with my lipo pack tomorrow.

@ Johnny Retro I had looked at those, but the width is quite a bit wider (nearly 20mm I think) so I assumed they wouldn't fit?

Decided to have a go with the mad fighter wheels and those sand thrasher tyres. Got a feeling the wheels might need some modifying, but should hopefully look nice when all sprayed up etc.

@ Johnny Retro (again) I have been looking a bit at oil springs. Am I right in think 3racing are the usual go to make? but can't seem to find any suitable ones in the UK.

Also, decided I'm going to buy a second shell and paint the body up. Thinking a kinda pale green with maybe a cream bonnet might look nice. I don't seem to be flipping the car etc, so hopefully the paint will stay on :-\

Lastly, I'm finding the tamiya dirt tuned motor a little underpowered for the open beach. Considering upping the power, but concerned as I don't want to spend lots of money on a fancy motor if it's going to get sand in it, and go bust. Wasn't sure if anyone knew of any reasonable motors that would cope under those conditions?

Thanks again

Re: Tamiya Holiday Buggy - Project Beach needs help! 11 years 3 months ago #17458

Do you need more torque for the rough sand or would you like more speed (on flat sand)?

Re: Tamiya Holiday Buggy - Project Beach needs help! 11 years 3 months ago #17459

More speed I guess. The current motor just feels very underpowered. Atm I'm mainly taking it around on full throttle. I want to feel like I have to edge off a bit, at least on corners :P

Re: Tamiya Holiday Buggy - Project Beach needs help! 11 years 3 months ago #17460

The Dirt Tuned is more aimed at torque than top speed...

Anybody ever tried the Ansmann Launcher motor? Price seems alright...
Maybe a 19x2T could be an alternative.
Reckon that would be okay without having to worry about gear ratio too much.
But I'll have a look at that as well.

www3.ansmann.de...otors.html

Just don't get a Clash. ;)
Read on TC that Ansmann's throwing the towel btw. Gonna be Carson now...

Last edit: by Edou.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.