Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Carbon Fibre Manta Ray Brushless Build 9 years 3 months ago #32685

HI!... Some old cars can and some can't, it all depends on their design. The gearboxes in the Bigwig, Hotshot, Hotshot II, Supershot, Boomerang can take quite a bit of power if they are full of ball bearings and blueprinted. I have a Bigwig with a 5.5T, 6000KV BL motor running on 3S. Does 50MPH for fun. No issues with it. I did a electric conversion on a Traxxas "T" Maxx that was originally nitro powered. I installed a Mamba Max motor/esc combo in it and destroyed all the gears in the gearbox. I ended up replacing all the gears with steel ones from Robinson racing. Haven't had any problems since. You just have to be reasonable when you do it. Don't go crazy and put a high KV motor in a vintage car. If all your looking for is a bit more speed and long run times then get a 2S lipo with the highest mAh that you can physically fit in the car. Then just a basic BL motor say at 12T will be reliable and fun.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Carbon Fibre Manta Ray Brushless Build 9 years 3 months ago #32698

If you give the car the right mods, it shouldn't be a problem to use a brushless up to about 200W.
Things you'd have to generally address on a DF-01 for this:

- steel pinion and possibly all plastic gears
- alloy motor mount
- rear gearbox (upper lid) reinforcement
- upgraded main drive shaft
- all steel wheel axles (instead of partly plastic) or universals

It'll be quite robust with this. :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.