Keyword

TOPIC:

Ode to my TA01, my special Tamiya 8 years 1 month ago #37194

Just wanted to share with you all my Tamiya TA01. I was staring at it this evening and thought, this is one of the most significant radio controlled car chassis' ever created. It launched and popularized 1/10 scale touring car races over 20 years ago and still its roots kick around today. It's probably the most personal chassis that I've ever owned, it being so versatile and tough, I can't think of one thing I haven't done with this chassis. I can take it apart and re-assemble it with my eyes closed at this point, everything is so properly placed and designed that you really don't need to tear the chassis apart to change out or repair something.

The gear boxes have neat and almost hidden hatches that allow for easy maintence and assembly, the counter gearing system is absolutely rock solid and sings when you add alittle bit of Yellow Tamiya shock oil to it. The tub itself is nearly indestructible- I've never broken one EVER and only replaced my original one because it was extremely scratched up and gouged from the different types of off-road rallying, jumping and racing I've done with it.

I've upgraded the steering to alluminum with metal bearings so the servo has an easier time moving those stubby front knuckles. The a-arms are another thing to mention, with their short, tyrannosaurus-like extension, it still amazes me how they manage to turn the vehicle decently.

The propellor shaft has been replaced on my TA01, because face it not even Mr. Tamiya liked the coat-hanger propeller shaft the chassis was paired with.

The rear end of my TA01 is very unique, that's where I find the personal touches of a TA series chassis really comes to life. The rear arms are completely interchangeable with the DF01, Manta Ray, and later TA02. So you can play around with the track widths and wheelbases, all the while making a very special little chassis. I've paired DF01 rear arms to achieve an approximate 251mm wheelbase to allow my Porsche Carerra to fit comfortably.

Adding the TA02 rear stabilizer was great fun to figure out how to mount it but I did succeed. The Duratrax waterproof reciever box comfortably holds the reciever and keeps it safe from the elements. It's a perfect match to my Hobbywing esc that is fully waterproof and has been tested several times. I even polished up the classic and proven Mabuchi silver can motor to look like new because well, I just love my TA01.

Hope to hear your thoughts on your own special chassis', thanks for reading!

The following user(s) Liked this: Edou

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by marcod13.

Ode to my TA01, my special Tamiya 8 years 1 month ago #37196

Thanks for taking the time to share those thoughts :y: It is nice to hear peoples stories behind their various RC's I have a couple of TA's on the list of ta do's :whistle: as well as a few others :laugh:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
The following user(s) Liked this: marcod13

Ode to my TA01, my special Tamiya 8 years 1 month ago #37198

Thanks, hope you get around to those TA's on the to do list! :)

Ode to my TA01, my special Tamiya 8 years 1 month ago #37201

Great story to read, your passion for the TA01 really comes through :) :y:

I'm one of those who can't stand to se any of my models get scratched, so my models stay on the shelf for display. Still, I can understand the passion of a chassis that just keeps on taking punishment, year after year ! :cry:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Ode to my TA01, my special Tamiya 8 years 1 month ago #37203

Thanks very much! Yes I too do enjoy saving a few of my kits for the shelf display. If I didn't, I would imagine it would get quite expensive to have them all as runners :cheer:

Ode to my TA01, my special Tamiya 8 years 1 month ago #37214

:laugh: Marco, I am like you a ta01/02 addict. I have several version and my TA02 rs and my clio Williams are my favourites. Like you I were able to rebuild 1 closed eyes. This chassis is the best of all 1/10th chassis all around the world.

Ode to my TA01, my special Tamiya 8 years 1 month ago #37218

I share the enthusiasm - with any car related to this chassis. :)

tamiyabase.com/...ta02x.html

Although it's been on the down low for a while...

Last edit: by Edou.

Ode to my TA01, my special Tamiya 8 years 1 month ago #37228

Save the TA's!! :laugh: I too have a couple of TA02's as well, tons of fun! I agree it is definitely the best of all 1/10's, tons of potential and personality. Thanks for reading!
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Ode to my TA01, my special Tamiya 8 years 1 month ago #37229

Ah the timeless 911 GT2! Greatest variation of the TA02 imo! Awesome build you have there too! Nice thing about these is that you can drop them and pick right up where you left off

Ode to my TA01, my special Tamiya 8 years 1 month ago #37232

:( THE missing version of my collection. The ta02sw with the fabulous 911gt2 taisan. :y:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.