Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by waterbok.

Vintage Manta Ray customisation quest 11 years 9 months ago #11194

• Edou
  • Edou's Avatar Topic Author
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Haha once again, you're right! :side:
It was an obvious spelling on my side btw because of the word "dyslectisch" in Dutch...
And just so not to offend anyone :

that do not affect general intelligence.

My GPM parts are still not black though. :cry:

Last edit: by Edou.

Vintage Manta Ray customisation quest 11 years 9 months ago #11195

Stop :cry: , I know U are just waiting for it to do your own anodising and make them better looking than the originals :P

Vintage Manta Ray customisation quest 11 years 9 months ago #11198

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
I thought of that so I didn't have to wait for black being in stock again...
But the original anodisation is very well done and I wanted them to match the finish of the C hubs.

Let's see what Asiatees has to say. The least they can do is not charge any shipment cost for the next one.
And then I'd have to see if I can resell the blue parts without a loss... (grr, d

Vintage Manta Ray customisation quest 11 years 9 months ago #11202

Got to be silver to match the front :y:

That wing looks enormous - or is it just the lens/angle?

Vintage Manta Ray customisation quest 11 years 9 months ago #11204

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Silver was a close second with my initial contemplations... :)
The wing is both large (1/8 Pro-Line) and the pic is very "in-your-face" 'cause I thought that would be a funny effect.
Zoomed out it actually matches the rest quite well (I think), especially the tyres :

Body doesn't look undersized either, although I could really only tell when I finish at least one of them completely...

Vintage Manta Ray customisation quest 11 years 9 months ago #11234

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Asiatees replied within a day. Gotta give 'em that...
They said a replacement in black will be coming my way. :)

Edit - but I'd better not get too excited until I can actually put them on the car. :whistle:

And I've been taking some preinvestigative action on a replacement for the shocks...
Doesn't fall within the budget at the moment but I am very tempted by these Junfacs :

B)
Attachments:

Vintage Manta Ray customisation quest 11 years 9 months ago #11344

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
So last time I got stuck at fitting the new suspensions shafts because I found out the aluminium hubs they were supposed to go through (originally meant for a CC-01) had a 4mm slot, while the shafts are only 3mm...
I found the solution in hollow brass rods that have a 4mm outside diameter and 0.45mm wall thickness.
Brass has the lowest friction coefficient and although I couldn't get any real confirmation on it, I think it is also softer than either steel or anodised aluminium. So if there is wear, it will be on the brass part.

Sorry about the low quality pics, they are snapshots from the video mode.
That's the only thing that still works on my camera...

Package comes in 3x 300mm - I only need about an inch from that but I suspect this stuff will come in handy more often.
So I made a shaft adapter for each C-hub (one could also call it a bearing) :

Because I want to get rid of any unnecessary tolerances, I'm shimming out the hubs while I'm at it.
To avoid fiddling around doing that, instead of putting the two halves of the suspension arms together and then fit the C-hub, I fit that first and screw the second half on later :

This way, I can do some trial and error for the best thickness of the shim as well.
On the first side I did, 0.2mm turned out to be the best pick :

My new tool was a great helper to clamp the E-rings on the shafts!

Even though I held it upside down at first and managed to launch two of them into oblivion... :whistle:
Good thing I'm wearing reading glasses while I'm doing this kind of stuff.

:cheer:

Vintage Manta Ray customisation quest 11 years 9 months ago #11345

have been playing with the same idea with the brass tubing to get rid of some play in joints.
beter than replacing worn out c hubs & steering parts. :y:
be carefull with the e-tool had a ring flying away like a rocket as it snapped out and nearly got it in the eye. :whistle:

btw. got a TF on its way and an original T alu motormount :P
need to stock up on shims, where did you get yours?

Last edit: by waterbok.

Vintage Manta Ray customisation quest 11 years 9 months ago #11346

Brass has the lowest friction coefficient and although I couldn't get any real confirmation on it, I think it is also softer than either steel or anodised aluminium. So if there is wear, it will be on the brass part.

It's not always the case that the softer part wears; I'm thinking specifically of plastic bearings on the steel part or grasshopper type frony uprights - grit tends to get in there & wear not only the plastic bearing, but also the shaft at an alarming rate. I've also seen the plastic end parts of dampers wear heavily, while the brass tubes they fit on are not too bad - though again that tends to be on very badly maintained cars.

Overall though I think fitting parts like your brass tubes & shims is a Good Thing - if you get a light sliding fit there shouldn't be room for bits of smeg to get in & cause wear :)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.