Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

58143 Mondeo BTCC rebuild 11 years 2 months ago #18621

Washers aren't as satisfying as hacking up ally though are they....
I'm thoroughly impressed with the enthusiasm! & now we also know it'll cope with ally AND brass! (If it'll hack brass, it should be ok with mild steel if you get the speed right)

Tickling brass wasn't so bad, but it really struggled on the aluminium - I really wouldn't want to try steel in it :(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

58143 Mondeo BTCC rebuild 11 years 2 months ago #18623

Made & fitted ally servo blocks...

... Also found & fitted some suitable (but not entirely correct) mirrors...

... I know I've build this car out of 2nd best bits, but every time I do something I find another bit of muppetry - note how well the mirror holes were finished, and how accurately the front body post holes were cut - you can still see the centre dimples :blink:

The posts had also been cut too short, so I've extended them... still working on the holes in the bodywork ....

58143 Mondeo BTCC rebuild 11 years 2 months ago #18624

Made some extra holes in the bodywork ... I didn't like doing this, but I can live with it beeter than having the body skew-whiff:

Leftover Fox front wishbone balljoint plates on the inside...

Leftover lexan & some M2 hex headed screws on the outside :)

Attachments:

58143 Mondeo BTCC rebuild 11 years 2 months ago #18628

:y: Nice,
I like your blue body sticks.

58143 Mondeo BTCC rebuild 11 years 2 months ago #18635

I like the body hole reinforcements - would be good to do some that sit at the very front of the body to look like 1:1 bonnet pins etc

Ally can be odd stuff to machine - "free machining" (Speedal) is lovely to work with, soft/annealed ally is a pig (Need slow speed & lube or it melts at the tool tip & bungs everything up). Anodised ally behaves a bit like cast iron until you get through the hard surface. It's a similar story with the various different grades of mild steel too, but generally harder is easier & gives a better finish.
For soft materials, try a tool with a slightly bigger radiussed tip (say 0.5-1mm rad). Anything with NO radius (ie pointy) will cause problems on any material

58143 Mondeo BTCC rebuild 11 years 2 months ago #18638

+1 those body hole trims a sweet JR :woohoo:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
Attachments:

58143 Mondeo BTCC rebuild 11 years 2 months ago #18640

:silly: It is just a JJONNY RETRO job!!! :whistle:

58143 Mondeo BTCC rebuild 11 years 2 months ago #18779

Also had a go at putting the "best" bits back together ...

Chassis tub, gearbox (:huh: ?) and underguard were all a bit scratched, so sanded thoroughly with multiple grades of wet & dry paper, starting with 100 grit & finishing with 2000, then polished with the Novus plastic set - I did miss a few bits, but it looks way better:

Like the other one, just a bit shinier & more original...

Ditto the body - although I do prefer the (incorrect) white mirrors ....

Wheels need bleaching, and I also found a generic interior and rollcage in my spares pile ...

:)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.