Keyword

TOPIC:

UT's Buggies 6 years 3 weeks ago #50106

:unsure: .., this is a little embarrassing, being curious about RC stuff other than my originally inteded buggies, again. I've been doing it behind your backs, so I feel a bit of shame bringing this up in my Buggy-thread, stuff that's not at all buggy.

Have you ever seen the film Deadly Encounter? It's a helicopter film from 1982 starring Larry Hagman as Sam Hooten, a retired military pilot working as civilian heli-pilot somewhere in Arizona and New Mexico. IMDB link >>

Not only does this film have -the- most fancy flying stunts ever managed with helicopters, the scenery and synthesizer music also complements the film in a way I've never experienced elsewhere. Having seen the film as a 10 year old boy, you'd understand what strong impression it made on me.

So, for about 3/4 of my life I've been wondering about how to recreate the feeling I got when I forst saw this.

Ah, the early 80s, when you couldn't throw a rock without hitting a movie or TV series with an electronic soundtrack ... I remember the red biplane in it better TBH. I've definitley seen its movie twin Blue Thunder on TV more often, but both are outshone by Airwolf - although none score particularly highly in technical accuracy & all are cheesy as badword ;)

As for recreating this - I think the sticking point is going to be the helicopter, I wouldn't fancy making the egg shaped hull from scratch, I suspect the best you could do is to get a model of the Hughes 500 & fake the paint/details, the truck is the comparitely easy part ... a quick look on eBay suggests your options are a 1:48 Academy kit, a Corgi diecast 369 (no idea on the scale, somewhere around 1:32 I'd guess), or a shell for a full size RC model at great expense, scale looks enormous, 1:8, 1:6? so you'd have to build your own truck too, Tamiya's 1:14 offerings wouldn't cut it.

I guess it comes down to your budget & how much time & space you've got - small or medium desktop model, or take up your whole like/garage.

:)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

UT's Buggies 6 years 3 weeks ago #50111

Thanks for your good suggestions, Jonny. I was thinking about Tamiya's King Hauler with the flat bed semi-trailer. A size 450 heli should fit widthwise.

As for the MD500 chopper, I'm ahead of you. This is Funkey's 700(60-90) size MD 500D fuselage. Not the exact type I wished for as I was looking for the 500C, or the original Cayuse OH6 military version, but it is close enough.

Seeing the fuse I kind of forgot about the truck, and I bought the largest size available.

As for the mechanics, that's built and ready too. I'm flying the Phoenix sim now a couple of months to acquire the necessary pilot skills, not to crash. So if you wonder what I've been doing this winter, wonder no more.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, stingray-63

UT's Buggies 6 years 3 weeks ago #50113

Is what I understood????? My english skill is poor but you want redo the scene in RC??????
That's crazy uncletom :woohoo:
The following user(s) Liked this: Al

UT's Buggies 6 years 3 weeks ago #50121

Where or when did I say I wasn't crazy?
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

UT's Buggies 6 years 3 weeks ago #50125

That's a big commitment :y: :blink:

Can you get a 12" Larry Hagman action figure? ;)

UT's Buggies 6 years 3 weeks ago #50128

.. no, though I wish. I'll be using a regular "pod & boom" heli, as they are called these days, which leaves no room for interior cockpit nor pilot figures. I know the germans and swiss are using these scale helicopters based on Roban mechanics, however they are too expensive and to be honest I'm not sure about the quality of the mechs, lots of belts that can snap. And I've seen their figures, they aren't very aesthetic. I'd rather put an Actionman, or Big Jim in there.

Re:UT's Buggies 6 years 3 weeks ago #50132

Here he is all 12 inches

Re:UT's Buggies 6 years 3 weeks ago #50133

Bobby Ewing

Re:UT's Buggies 6 years 3 weeks ago #50134

Nope is JR
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Re:UT's Buggies 6 years 3 weeks ago #50135

:D I had a doubt :D :D

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.