Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Casspir 7 years 8 months ago #39821

Right, first build thread on here. Going to build a Casspir , a Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) 4x4 developed in South Africa over 30 years ago. The cross-section of the monocoque hull is V-shaped, directing the force of land mine explosions outwards to protect its occupants. It's also bullet proof. You might remember seeing it in District 9 .

Stuggled for a while to work out how this thing was going to happen. It's leaf-sprung, so all my existing rigs bar the Hilux Mountain Rider were out. The Mountain Rider has that very pretty chassis, which is too wide for the Casspir. Was resigned to cosntructing something myself when I came across Tamiya's High Lift trucks. The chassis is narrow, and high, so I can hide it under that monocoque hull. It's leaf sprung. The motor and gearbox can be hidden by the body too. Ace :silly:

So I made a start on the motor. It's a Mercedes Benz OM 253 - pretty much what you'd find in an Unimog 416. Here's where I am with that (you're looking at the injection side - exhaust side is still waiting for an exhaust manifold):

From the top down I tried to replicate the cylinder head cover, cylinder head, pushrod cover, injector pump (in progress), and another funny thing (bottom, left) that I don't know (also in progress).

In closing, being a bit new here I'm not sure whether this is the correct place for this build thread - if not, please accept my apologies.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Michael. Reason: Spelling

Casspir 7 years 8 months ago #39823

Nice beginning.
The following user(s) Liked this: Michael

Casspir 7 years 8 months ago #39859

I'm looking foreward to following this!

Don't worry about correct forum. We have friendly administrators :lol: :woohoo:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Casspir 7 years 8 months ago #39865

Very cool :y: , I followed the build of a BUFFALO 1/10 mostly scratch AKA BONE CRUSHER

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
The following user(s) Liked this: yogi-bear, stingray-63, Michael

Casspir 7 years 8 months ago #39867

Yeah, very familiar with that build. It's awesome.

Casspir 7 years 8 months ago #39930

Nice work so far, i look forward to seeing progress B)

The "funny thing" on the engine looks to be the same area as the oil filter housing on more conventional applications of that engine, so I'd guess some sort of uprated housing/oil cooler - but it's hard to tell without seeing it finished, or your source photo(s) :)

Casspir 7 years 8 months ago #39932

Nice work so far, i look forward to seeing progress B)

The "funny thing" on the engine looks to be the same area as the oil filter housing on more conventional applications of that engine, so I'd guess some sort of uprated housing/oil cooler - but it's hard to tell without seeing it finished, or your source photo(s) :)

Thanks, and I'm stuck finishing a build for a competition so this is stalled until the end of the month. A bit bleak about that because the braided tubing for the engine arrived and it's calling to me like drugs.

Suspect you're right about it being an oil cooler, 'specially considering that a hose leads from it up to the cylinder head, and there being a coolant manifold on the back of the cylinder head. There's an oil pump inside the sump, but no cooler I can see. Diesel engines are not my area of expertise, but here are two of many reference photos...

Last edit: by Michael.

Casspir 7 years 8 months ago #40023

The Tamiya High Lift kit arrived in the UK on Tuesday last week, and I've yet to receive the letter with the customs charge :whistle:

Made some progress on the motor though.

Casspir 7 years 8 months ago #40025

Excellent work Buddy :)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Casspir 7 years 8 months ago #40030

Nice, looks good :y:

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.