Keyword

TOPIC:

58087 Manta Ray 11 years 2 months ago #19208

Are you not supposed to use 7-cell, 8.4v packs on the TEU101BK then?

Oops! :blush:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

58087 Manta Ray 11 years 2 months ago #19213

Funkindemup - yep that's the one. Other people on here have managed to source it much cheaper than Blacksmith are selling it for.
I can tell you that it's happy powering my Epic-canned "Revenge of the monster horsepower" brushed motor, which pulls a lot of current, & neither my 101 or LRP AI can do that!
Power delivery is vicious, ideal for playing but not so good for professional racing.
They work ok with well known brand transmitters/receivers (Futaba, Acoms, Sanwa) but the auto-setup can get confused & not work at all with some more obscure radio sets.

Jonny, as a guess I would say the 101 is probably rated to the 12v the ESC could possibly see from a 7.2V NiCd straight off timer fast charge, & crappy Nimh won't make anything like that from what I've seen (Just exercising my right to hate the wretched things there!)

58087 Manta Ray 11 years 2 months ago #19233

But are there brushed motors with higher voltage? ... 23T 540 SportTuned

With a silvercan for example it's indicated it'll also run on 8.4V (not with the Sport Tuned though).
I think the popular believe is that European Sport Tuned motors are 23T and Asian-US 27T, possibly because of this page :

www.zaonce.com/...motors.htm

When in fact I think there might have been an early batch of 23 turns but all are 27T now.
Don't have proof for that but repeating what I've read. Opening up one would give a more definite answer.
Can't see a sensible reason though why they would separate the markets like that.
So it's basically a hopped up silvercan. Nothing wrong with that by the way.
Anyway, I think there would hardly be an ESC that isn't be able to handle it...
The following user(s) Liked this: funkindemup

Last edit: by Edou.

58087 Manta Ray 11 years 2 months ago #19236

Edou, 'cause my RS540 ST is from early 90's i think it's a 23T one. Does the "above" limit on ESCs mean that you can use a 20T Esc also for 21,22,etc T or less? I'm still a rookie about ESC/Motors. I have now 3 540 and currently no ESC, only the MSC, since years! I'm a long time nub :S
And 'cause i've bought a new 1:1 car, i can't afford the eletronic for my MR yet. Maybe next month.

Johnny Retro, about higher voltage i don't know much. Only that motors which are built for (as i know only brushless) can have a better efficiency as with 7,2. Is it possible to use more voltage on silvercan when using 101er?

Update: I've ordered a BSP ESC. Cheaper in their shop on ebay than in their own...

Last edit: by funkindemup.

58087 Manta Ray 11 years 2 months ago #19241

@ edou - AFAIK the Sport Tuned motor is a 23T with approx 15 degrees of advance, but that's a combination of received wisdom & "educated" guesswork, I suppose it could equally be a 27T with a lot more advance...

As for finding out what the specs really are, that article is often cited as "proof" that it is a 23T - but it (and anything else on the internet, including retailers/Tamiyausa.com, etc) is not proof IMO.

I had a quick look for any documentation that was printed by Tamiya regarding the specs - the box doesn't mention turns, and neither do the 2000 and 2001 RC guide books, 1983 & 1987 don't have it in there as it hadn't been introduced then.

58087 Manta Ray 11 years 2 months ago #19246

What's bothering me a bit (for lack of a better word), is that Tamiya USA says the specs for the TEU-104BK are limited to 25+ turns motors or a Sport Tuned. That would mean a "European" Sport Tuned will be too much for it.

:huh:

Funkindemup, the turns spec on an ESC is the lower limit. So every motor with more turns (= less power drain) should work.
Although in reality it's more of an estimate and the actual limit comes from the max current it can handle.

58087 Manta Ray 11 years 1 month ago #19847

There were 2 short periods in the last week where the temperature was above 10 Celcius & below 80% humidity, in one of them I managed to get some paint on the lower arms (to cover up the failed sanding/polishing), so building could continue...

The body though ... whoops :blush: I thought if I could get the overspray off the outside, it would look ok with a new set of re-re decals... I tried to rush is with acetone - it got the paint off, but seconds later the surface started clouding up, with some major cracks appearing.

Result: build on hold again until I get a new body :S

58087 Manta Ray 11 years 1 month ago #19859

:cry:

Acetone, not my friend. In my younger RC years (not too long ago) I melted a set of brand new Levant rims with it...
Chassis looks very slick though.

58087 Manta Ray 11 years 1 month ago #19860

:laugh:
Welcome to the looser Manta Ray's Club :y:
If you want mine? It will be a pleasure to offer it to you. I have a new method to remove the paint. The rc gasoline.

58087 Manta Ray 11 years 1 month ago #20189

New body arrived from Kamtec ... it's nice & thick, well formed, and cheaper than getting one from TBG ... but it doesn't come with a wing. I went back & checked the description - maybe it's my fault for assuming I was going to get the wing too, as it doesn't explicitly say so, but TBH I'm seriously unimpressed that it wasn't stated that it was not included :angry:

Another case of getting what you pay for I guess :n:

Attachments:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.