Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

58044 Tamiya Mitsubishi Pajero no forward drive 11 years 9 months ago #10643

Hi,
I am a new member to this site and was wondring if anybody could help me out with my technical problem. I have a 58044 Tamiya Mitsubishi Pajero which I have had from new but I have just found it again in my parents loft and I am trying to get it up and running again,every thing else is working apart from I have no forward drive. The speed control is tunning both ways but will only drive in reverse. I would be very greatful if anybody could give me any advise.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: 58044 Tamiya Mitsubishi Pajero no forward drive 11 years 9 months ago #10644

Is the motor turning when the speed control is set to a forward position? If it is, it's probably a transmission problem - most likely candidates are the nut holding the left rear wheel on, the plastic hub behind the wheel, or the metal pin which stops the hub spinning on the shaft, or the pinion attached to the output shaft of the motor.

If the motor isn't spinning, it could be corrosion or wear on the speed control. Depending on how the motor wires are attached to the wires coming from the speed control, it might be possible to unplug/unwind the connections & swap them over & see if the problem reverses.

Another possibility is the wiring to or within the resistor pack - does the motor spin when the speed control is in full forward position?
The following user(s) Liked this: alexoliver

Re: 58044 Tamiya Mitsubishi Pajero no forward drive 11 years 9 months ago #10645

Should have added a welcome on board :) :y:

Possibily too much info in my post too - try a basic test first:

With the big battery plugged in, and the rear wheels safely off the ground, but with the transmitter & the reciever on the car turned off, manually move the wiper on the speed control/arm on the servo to each forward & reverse position (three of each) - what happens?

What happens if you apply extra pressure on the pointy bit of the wiper on the speed control?

Re: 58044 Tamiya Mitsubishi Pajero no forward drive 11 years 9 months ago #10647

Yep, I'd go for dirty plates/wiper on the speed control, OR the nut on the wiper is loose (Tightens up & makes contact when moved to reverse, loosens & looses contact when moved the other way), OR the black wire has come unsoldered from the central pin (underneath).
This is assuming it does absolutely nothing from zero throttle, gently all the way to full throttle, rather than banging the stick to full throttle & it gives a quick spurt but nothing else? - this would be the wiper having too much travel & overshooting the full throttle plate (Adjust throttle trim lever? Use a different hole on the servo horn?)

Re: 58044 Tamiya Mitsubishi Pajero no forward drive 11 years 9 months ago #10664

Welcome, alexoliver. :)
Looks like the guys got the replies to your question covered... :y:

Re: 58044 Tamiya Mitsubishi Pajero no forward drive 11 years 9 months ago #10674

Hi,
Thankyou very much for your very quick reply to my problem,I have carried out all of your checks but sadly :cry: it still does not work. I have seen some spare speed controls for my vehicle on Ebay so I am going to place a bid for them.

Re: 58044 Tamiya Mitsubishi Pajero no forward drive 11 years 9 months ago #10675

If you're planning on replacing parts and running the car, I'd recommend switching to an electronic speed controller (ESC).
Nowadays you can find very nice ones for not too much money. Mtroniks for example.
Investing in a decent ESC will make the whole setup much more reliable when it comes to signal interference...
Besides that, you could leave one of the servos out. And the speed will be stepless.

:y:

Re: 58044 Tamiya Mitsubishi Pajero no forward drive 11 years 9 months ago #10680

Just before you go down the "lashing out loads for an ESC" route, do a quick test to confirm the motor hasn't got something strange wrong with it
- swap the motor wires, put the speed control into reverse & see if the motor still runs (If it's speed control or wiring local to it, the motor should still run, but in the opposite direction). If the motor refuses to run in the opposite direction, look for stiff motor bearings, a loose end bell, signs of overheating/melting of the plastic motor brush holders etc.
Also, try turning the car wheels in both directions by hand (Both at the same time so they turn the motor) & listen/feel for any "notching" or severe sticking etc. anything that could stall the motor.
Also check both motor screws are present & tight, & also check the motor pinion isn't loose.
To prove the speed control is working or not, plug in an automotive bulb instead of the motor - you should get 3 levels of brightness in both forward & reverse. By the way, doing this test with a volt meter instead of a bulb probably won't show a problem up

Re: 58044 Tamiya Mitsubishi Pajero no forward drive 11 years 9 months ago #10831

My parts arrived on wednesday and I got straight on to fixing it. The new speed control works brilliant so me and and my son took it for a ofroad test last night :woohoo: cheers for the top help. :y:

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.