Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tamiya Thunder Shot A5 Part 11 years 10 months ago #10665

Finished rebuilding my battered old Thundershot a while ago which needed a full rebuild and a fair few new parts including the dreaded weakpoint the A5 part at the front end that always breaks. Anyway i took it for its first run today and managed to clip a small piece of brick that had been left lying on the grass and the A5 part broke clean in half after less than ten minutes running! It wasnt even a bad impact. Does anybody know of any upgraded parts I could use to replace this as i dont want to buy another A parts tree just for the same single part again.....especially as its so weak. Has anybody manufactured a replacement thats reinforced? This is a bad design floor by Tamiya i wonder how many kids had their christmas's ruined when this part broke on their first run of their shiny new toy. :angry:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Tamiya Thunder Shot A5 Part 11 years 10 months ago #10667

None idea TBH ... but it's not unique - I think most Tamiya cars have at least one bit of boneheaded design in it.

Maybe we should compile a list :whistle:

Re: Tamiya Thunder Shot A5 Part 11 years 10 months ago #10668

Funny i was thinking the same thing....a list of floors would be good :)

Re: Tamiya Thunder Shot A5 Part 11 years 10 months ago #10670

You could ask this member from www.modelbuild.co.uk .
I see a reference about it in his shop when I google but I cannot read the page itself.
But it indicates he might have sold them in the past and could maybe produce some more...

:y:

Re: Tamiya Thunder Shot A5 Part 11 years 10 months ago #10671

Thanks Edou i have sent him a pm and will wait to see if he responds :) ill keep you posted on any progress

Re: Tamiya Thunder Shot A5 Part 11 years 10 months ago #10681

Had the same issue with mine.
It's possible to reinforce the A5 with a fabricated metal "Tie-plate" in front of it, to tie the suspension pivots together better (Better still if you also screw the plate to A5 as well), but you'll need a good A5 in the first place as this metal plate won't do the job alone.
If you breathed on the A5 hard enough to break it, you need to be looking at the suspension pivots on the gearboxes too, as they probably broke in the same impact.
Easiest option is, get shot of the shot & buy a less fragile car, eg a Baja Champ or Gravel Hound!

Re: Tamiya Thunder Shot A5 Part 11 years 10 months ago #10682

Hi

I looked into having this item made out of aluminium but the cost was too high so the project was put on hold.

Thanks

Bob @ Model Build
www.modelbuild.co.uk
Attachments:

Last edit: by bobzy20.

Re: Tamiya Thunder Shot A5 Part 11 years 10 months ago #10686

Easiest option is, get shot of the shot & buy a less fragile car, eg a Baja Champ or Gravel Hound!

The TL-01 is my most-loathed chassis, it doesn't get any better with long suspension arms :sick:

Ditto for the TT01 :S

Re: Tamiya Thunder Shot A5 Part 11 years 10 months ago #10688

Its not looking too good for this thundershot then i think ill keep it as a box of spares as i just cant be bothered replacing the A5 part again and the chassis has a few little cracks in it too (not from the impact just age i think and ham fisted screw tightening) if anyone needs any parts let me know :laugh:

Last edit: by tamiya nut.

Re: Tamiya Thunder Shot A5 Part 11 years 10 months ago #10715

Wassup with the TL01 then Jonny? - too reliable for ya? I've yet to find fault with mine & it's had some horrific pile-ups whilst in my ownership! In fact, the only grief it's ever given me was related to snow & the LRP ESC...

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.