Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Brushless SRB? 11 years 8 months ago #11524

Getting my re-re sand scorcher ready for the beach and got to wondering if anyone has gone brushless with an SRB gear case.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Brushless SRB? 11 years 8 months ago #11525

I have seen a few SRB's with brushless, usually in the 17 to 13 turn range.

The SRB gearbox seem to be quite rugged, but I would have looked into replacing the plastic idler gear with a brass one.
I would be more worried about handling :blink: (keep loads of spare bodies at hand :lol: )

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Brushless SRB? 11 years 8 months ago #11527

I run a Proline bug body. Tamiyas body is too nice to hurt. I'm pretty sure I went with the brass idler when I put the ball diff kit in. Thanks for the conformation of the rugged gear box.

Brushless SRB? 11 years 8 months ago #11530

Well it was a 20 min mod. The Hobbywing 13.5 turn is a little loose fit but I had some Losi motor shims left over from a Associated MGT 8.0 brushless conversion, so I slid one over the motor and now it's a snug fit.
Over powered on a 11.1v 2200 mah lipo. Always remember to program the throttle punch on your ESC to level 1 before test drives ;) I reduced throttle travel on my radio too.
Might have to throw some sand at the beach bullys next week.

Re: Brushless SRB? 11 years 8 months ago #11532

I run mine on 6V with a sports tuned, with the standard dampers, I think this gives the more realistic driving on the beach. Mine is just spraying sand and not screws or aluminium parts when I hit the gas.

SRB

picasaweb.googl...directlink

Last edit: by waterbok.

Re: Brushless SRB? 11 years 8 months ago #11535

I don't know, I think everyone should have one car that's stupidly overpowered ... mine is a TA03F with a Ezrun 5.5T & solid drift tyres, which I had to superglue down as full throttle made them balloon & fly off the wheels :blink: :y:

Re: Brushless SRB? 11 years 8 months ago #11542

I don't know, I think everyone should have one car that's stupidly overpowered ... mine is a TA03F with a Ezrun 5.5T & solid drift tyres, which I had to superglue down as full throttle made them balloon & fly off the wheels :blink: :y:

That actually made me lol

I don't know about the SRB chassis, but my blitzer can lift all 4 wheels off the ground if i launch hard... and that's on a stock Tamiya silver can, with a 7.2 battery, no idea what it will be like when i install the 10.5 turn brushless motor *i may need softer springs

Re: Brushless SRB? 11 years 8 months ago #11549

Haha waterbok! Yeah I agree, the extra vibration & wind drag doesn't do much for the security of the major components! As soon as I saw the title, the first thing I thought was "Never mind the gearbox, you're gonna need at least a litre of threadloc"!

I agree Jonny, you need a mental toy to laugh at! Trouble is, if you go really mad with the power, you end up spending more time fixing than playing.... (Yes, referring to my 1/5th project, sold now so don't have to think about it any more)

Re: Brushless SRB? 11 years 8 months ago #11552

That actually made me lol

I don't know about the SRB chassis, but my blitzer can lift all 4 wheels off the ground if i launch hard... and that's on a stock Tamiya silver can, with a 7.2 battery, no idea what it will be like when i install the 10.5 turn brushless motor *i may need softer springs

I'm not sure that would help - accelaration will compress the shocks faster, they'll bottom out & then the car will rotate about the rear axle, the wheels will unload, the shocks will extend, and then it's sliding along on its roof. I'm thinking wheelie bars - but make them long, stiff and low to the ground (matron!) so they take the load early without any springiness, otherwise when the car rotates around the rear axle, hitting the wheelie bar will cause the car to slam back down, and the wheelie/slam down oscillation will repeat, and the car will move forward in the same manner as as set of those windup false teeth. It's funny in a Lunchbox/Pumpkin/Wild Willy 2 with a silvercan, not so funny when the stress shreds the gearbox.

BTW, "racing" Lunchbox/Pumpkin/Wild Willy 2's is much easier if you fit the wheelie bar upside down ;)

Re: Brushless SRB? 11 years 8 months ago #11558

That's what I'd like to see, some willy/lunchbox racing - hilarity apart, I bet it would show off some proper driving skill - kinda fed up with watching "go as fast as you can afford on the straights & crash on every corner" racing, pretty much the reason I gave it up - couldn't afford the damage inflicted by others any more...

There's a certain amount of pride/satisfaction to be had out of drifting elegantly on ice whilst keeping it all under control & not hitting anything. Watching drifting isn't my cup of tea, but I do enjoy it when it's done skilfully

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.