Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hot Shot drivetrain durability 11 years 8 months ago #11582

How durable is the Hot Shot's drivetrain? I have a 550 Titan 12T motor laying around that I'd like to put in but don't want to shred the gearboxes. It would be run on 7.2v Nicad batteries. I could put it in my Thundershot but I'd rather try it in the Hot Shot if possible.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Hot Shot drivetrain durability 11 years 8 months ago #11590

Is it possible at all to fit a 550 size motor to either of these buggies?
Apart from that, I'd (theoretically) say it would be stretching the capabilities of the Hotshot...
Although you should be able to keep in it one piece, depending on the way you drive.

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Hot Shot drivetrain durability 11 years 8 months ago #11593

I think the 550 will fit when using an adapter. Only thing is, if it's a original Hotshot or a re released one? If original then it will break apart first run, due to age.. If re release drive carefull otherwise it will also fall apart, these cars are not build for brute power distribution. If you fancy that get a Losi or something put in a 2200Kv motor on 4s and go nuts :laugh:

cheers, Bram
Restoring Countach 58005
Restoring 58015 RR
Restoring 58098 F40
Restoring King Cab and Monsterracer
Restoring Audi Quattro rally
Restoring Mk.1 Sand Scorcher
Restoring Porsche 936

Last edit: by BramMeijer.

Re: Hot Shot drivetrain durability 11 years 8 months ago #11620

I was afraid of that. Well, I guess the Titan 550 will find a home in my Blitzer and I'll look for another motor to give my Hot Shot a little more kick. Thanks.

Re: Hot Shot drivetrain durability 11 years 8 months ago #11621

My understanding is the Hotshot shares the same drivetrain as the Boomerang? My re-re Boomer has a 6.5T brushless/7.4v lipo and I have never had a problem. I don't know how this motor would compare to the 550 but if your buggy is also a re-release then I would try it and see.

Last edit: by vara351.

Re: Hot Shot drivetrain durability 11 years 8 months ago #11651

Don't take any of this as gospel, but talking of Hotshot drivetrain durability, the only thing I'd say is make sure the steering doesn't over-travel or the front driveshafts can jump/lock/break the outer cups (1st signs are notching, locking & tight spots as you hand-turn the wheels at full steering lock)
As for motors, am I right in saying the Titan 550 is what was fitted to the Emaxx? - weren't they 14.4V not 7.2V? If my memory serves me right, they're the same diameter, but longer than a 540, & this coupled with the higher voltage was only to give more torque, (Gearbox shredding ability) NOT a higher top speed, which begs the question, why would you WANT to fit one?

Personally, I'd say go for one of the "Epic" canned (Tuned 540 27T, lay-down brushes, lightened rotor, bags of pulling power) if you're looking at brushed setups. Performance of one of these (eg Revenge of the Monster) is usually similar to A 17 turn double-wind - lots of torque AND a high top speed, but still a relatively usable run time

Re: Hot Shot drivetrain durability 11 years 8 months ago #11663

The Titan 12T is found in other Traxxas vehicles like the Stampede and Bandit. It runs off of 8.4 or 7.2v unlike the 23T Titans found in the Maxx trucks that need 14.4v to perform. The longer motor can does provide extra torque which I thought might aid the rather hefty 4wd Hot Shot much like the torquey old Technigolds did. In the end, I put it in my Blitzer which can now plow through the grass in the back garden with ease. I'll put a Sport Tuned in the Hot Shot for now but will look into the Epic motors. Finding decent brushed motors for our older stuff is beginning to get more difficult.

Re: Hot Shot drivetrain durability 11 years 8 months ago #11664

Yep, everyone loves brushless & everything electronic & magical nowadays. You don't have to play with electronics & intelligent devices for long to realise this aint a great idea, unless of course you're loaded & don't care about throwing stuff away & replacing it when it doesn't work properly any more. Unfortunately, these things are what people want, & that's the way "progress" is going...

Ahem, motors.... yep, toy car brushed 540s are disappearing rapidly, but, there's still a lot of equipment out there that still uses variations of it eg nitro starters, automotive tyre inflators, travel hair dryers etc. & if like me you enjoy a bit of hacking about, it's possible to repair/modify your toy car motor with parts from these items. In fact, if you have a selection of rebuildable motors, it's often possible to swap rotors (To obtain unworn comms), buy enamelled wire & rewind them yourself with any turns configuration you fancy. Static balancing is usually good enough for the real-life rpms the motor will actually see in use (They never/can't run at the top rated rpm once driving a gearbox, too many frictional losses). Bearings will always be available.
Most older ESCs can be repaired with the right know-how too (Except those like MTronics, where the components are "potted" in resin, making them inaccessible) & MSCs rarely self-destruct (Perfect example of progress, how many MSCs have you destroyed wiring them backwards or with a too-powerful motor, or shorted motor wiring?).

Why not select a broken motor from your spares box, have it to bits & see what you can do with it? The only real show-stopper is a shredded commutator (Copper parts detached from their seats or burnt through), & as I said, this can be addressed with a rotor-swap. Everything else in there is relatively easily fixed with a bit of care & patience

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.