Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Replacing ubiquitous "3 x 12mm Tapping Screw" 11 years 8 months ago #11669

Someone was mentioned finding suitable replacements for the 3mm self tapping screws found in just about every Tamiya kit (the Monster Beetle has 39 of them for example), I couldn't find the thread but this is what I've found ...

I still haven't found an exact replacement (brown or yellow passivated, JIS (?) cross head / slot combination pan head), but stainless Number 4 x 1/2" (2.8mm x 12.7mm) with Pozidrive or slotted pan heads are a good match for new chassis or ones that have been previously built carefully - although you may need to file the pointy ends in some applications. Sorry for the fuzzy photo.

TBH I tend to used stainless M3 cap head machine screws now - they don't look OE but are pretty tidy, the thread is different so copes well with chassis that haven't been that well built, and using a 2.5mm hex driver provides far better traction for fitting them :)

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Replacing ubiquitous "3 x 12mm Tapping Screw" 11 years 8 months ago #11704

I think I've mentioned this before too, my suggestion was to get stainless self-tappers of the same size with phillips heads (Phillips, not pozi which have the extra tiny marks between the cross) then run a (Junior) hacksaw across the cross to give the phillips/slotted head. A quick dip in yellow-tinted laquer (eg Revell 730) & bobs your auntie

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.