Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bullhead Hop-Ups 11 years 8 months ago #12144

Hi Folks,

I've just ordered a vintage bullhead off ebay which requires some minor work. I've ordered a 45054 Tamiya TEU-106BK ESC for Twin Motor, and ballrace bearings. Can somebody please give me some advice on hopping up the standard motors. I want to make it's top end speed as fast as possible (I'm willing to upgrade the TEU-106bk ESC with a better one if it will really make a difference).

I appreciate the Bullhead isn't fast compared to small cars etc, but i'm looking to get it hiding a fair speed on flat beaches as this is where it will be predominently used. I will be running it with 7.2V 3800mAh NiMH Batteries. Everything other than what has been described will be standard.

Thanks in advance,
BISH.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bullhead Hop-Ups 11 years 8 months ago #12147

I would go HobbyWing 32T/1200Kv brushless and dual ESC's. I have Saturn 27T's in my sons Clod and they're pretty respectable.

Re: Bullhead Hop-Ups 11 years 8 months ago #12150

Tamiya states that the max you could put on this ESC is two Sport Tuned motors. Or anything over 25T...
Which I find a bit confusing tbh 'cause I always thought they were 23T to start with. :huh:
But it means that the top speed for this unit will be limited. Probably a good idea on the Bullhead though. ;)
A couple of (25T) Tamiya GT Tuned could be a nice alternative. They should be slightly faster than the Sport Tuned.

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Bullhead Hop-Ups 11 years 8 months ago #12153

Thanks for the feedback guys - all good info :)

How would I go about configuring dual ESC's? Would I need a special receiver to plug in two?

If I am to go down the new dual ESC's, motors, and receiver's - any recommendations for a parts list?

Any links to wirings diagrams / pictures of such a setup would be very much appreciated.

BISH.

Re: Bullhead Hop-Ups 11 years 8 months ago #12169

I think it might be worth having a look at this topic . :y:
Not my expertise but a single (heavy) ESC and battery seems to be another option.

See attached diagram of how it is wired up.

Re: Bullhead Hop-Ups 11 years 8 months ago #12175

I think it might be worth having a look at this topic . :y: ...

To sum it up, we were discussing the essential pointlessness of trying to make a Bullhead/Clod chassis go faster, and I'd still stick by that - what makes these special is their sheer physical presence, their ability to drive oven lesser trucks (like Lunchboxes), the fact that out of the box, they're the only Tamiya vehicle that will drive on proper snow, and that they float ... I've tried making one go fast, and all it does is make a lot more noise, create horrendous body roll, make them fall over a lot, break parts, and not really go any faster.

:)

Re: Bullhead Hop-Ups 11 years 8 months ago #12183

Well guys, this is certainly the right place to ask these sort of questions.

My stock vintage bullhead should be arriving tomorrow; following your feedback I'll see how things workout with the standard setup, and unless I need it to go faster may leave the motors alone. Afterall my King Blackfoot chassis arrived today, and I already have a very quick TL01 and Nitro Force - so maybe the Bullhead will remain un-hopped so it can be the best on snow and water!

Once again many thanks for your feedback guys. i'll post some pics of my toys once they've been made presentable.

Re: Bullhead Hop-Ups 11 years 8 months ago #12191

I'll second Jonny on the Clod verses speed front - unless you do something pretty serious with all the sloppy bendy suspension & steering linkages, you really won't want to be driving it any quicker than what the silvercans will give you, & you'll find the most fun will be had at or near your feet, not tearing off into the horizon.

Steering is similar to a canal boat - happens 3 seconds after you tell it to, then oversteers, but still with a similar turning circle to aforementioned boat.
Handling, well I don't suppose you've ever seen a greased-up hippo trying to skate?

Clods are for squishing, wheelies, climbing & swimming, not land speed records

Re: Bullhead Hop-Ups 11 years 8 months ago #12197

Clods are for squishing, wheelies, climbing & swimming

I think I want one now. :woohoo:

Bullhead Hop-Ups 11 years 8 months ago #12205

With dual ESC's first you need to make sure their programmed the exact same. Next calibrate them to your radio 1 at a time. Then hook 'em up and make sure their working together on the bench. For hook up you can just use a Y harness or the preferred way, a 3 or more channel computer radio and put the second ESC on a second channel and mix it with the throttle channel. I use a GT3B that's been hacked so it runs 8 channels.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.