Keyword

TOPIC:

Sport-tuned for Bullhead? 11 years 8 months ago #12288

Hi, my bro (and recent TB member) has just taken delivery of a re-re Bullhead, and I convinced him to buy two Sport-tuned motors for it. However I see the motors are marked with a "Rotation Direction" arrow. Will this be a problem considering one motor will have to run backwards? Is the timing of these motors neutral??

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Sport-tuned for Bullhead? 11 years 8 months ago #12290

There seems to be some general confusion on the actual specs of the Sport Tuned...
About the fact if it's 23 or 27T and whether it has advanced timing or not.
The arrow for rotation direction on these indicates that the timing has indeed been fiddled with.
But in practice I think a couple of Sport Tuned will work fine - one motor may run a bit slower though.

Re: Sport-tuned for Bullhead? 11 years 8 months ago #12292

Stick a battery on them, run them up, then reverse the connection & run again - you'll soon hear if it's going faster in one direction than the other.

If you HAVE to do the sporty motor thing, you'd be better off with modified motors with adjustable timing (A) so you can tune 1x forward & 1x reverse for theoretical overall faster forwards than backwards & (B) so once you've realise you've wasted your money trying to go faster with uncontrollable handling, you've got the option to de-tune the motors to a more acceptable level

Re: Sport-tuned for Bullhead? 11 years 8 months ago #12322

If you HAVE to do the sporty motor thing, ............. once you've realise you've wasted your money trying to go faster with uncontrollable handling, you've got the......

I know, I know, but my bro was addament his Bullhead would have tough motors, and my suggestion of the sport-tuned was an attempt to keep a lid on things. I only hope I have not wasted his money.

Re: Sport-tuned for Bullhead? 11 years 8 months ago #12328

Said it recently on another topic, but what is it with people just having to have the most powerful fastest everything, without giving any thought to whether or not it'll be usable? I find it takes the fun out of it overdoing the tuning bit,you end up with masses of wheelspin, more rollovers & crashes, more crash damage, faster wearing parts, shorter run times & the need to find a bigger space to play in! All the bad stuff, AND you have to pay through the nose for it!

Ok, ok so I'm a whining killjoy, too much power is never enough, millions can't be wrong!

Re: Sport-tuned for Bullhead? 11 years 8 months ago #12336

Putting Sport Tuneds in a Bullhead is not uncommon, so I think you'll be fine. ;)
Tamiya even says that a pair of 'em if the max you can put on their dual ESCs...
If the setup isn't satisfactory, you still have two cool motors that'll fit very nicely on any car.

:)

Re: Sport-tuned for Bullhead? 11 years 8 months ago #12344

There seems to be some general confusion on the actual specs of the Sport Tuned...

I think that comes from a general lack of information from Tamiya, and using the same name for different products. Received wisdom is that early "Asian" (?) Sport Tuned motors are 27T with advanced timing, early "European" and all current Sport Tuneds are 23T with advanced timing.

... But in practice I think a couple of Sport Tuned will work fine - one motor may run a bit slower though.

You don't see that as a problem?

From experience with running dual battery/dual ESC setups in a Super Clod, the rear motor works much harder - the "rear" battery will run down much faster & and a TEU101BK will "thermal" (even on a silvercan) while the front ESC keeps going ... I don't know which motor is running "backwards", but if it's the rear, then I don't think having a truck dragging it's hindquarters around in a manner remniscent of a Border Collie with worms can be a good thing ... if it's the front that runs backwards, then the rear motor is going to have to work even harder.

:)

Re: Sport-tuned for Bullhead? 11 years 8 months ago #12349

You're right of course that it can't be an optimal setup.
TS'll have to see in practice if it's problematic.
Thinking the wormy Border Collie approach might works best.
It's easier to pull something that's dragging than push it...

Re: Sport-tuned for Bullhead? 11 years 8 months ago #12351

Someone HAS to start a proper discussion on the subject, & it just HAS to be titled "My Clod's got worms"
Making me giggle just imagining it... Before the collie was mentioned I was actually thinking of alsations, with their typically naff rear ends & how that's usually sorted with the addition of a strap-on trolley affair.... great, this is progressing to "My Clod's got a strap-on"

Re: Sport-tuned for Bullhead? 11 years 8 months ago #12356

Post a picture of it and your Clod'll be taylor swifting. :huh: :lol:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.