Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Sport-tuned for Bullhead? 11 years 8 months ago #12472

Even in slowmo, this Clod seems to be coping well with a couple of Sport Tuneds ...

You're kidding, right?

That's handling about as well as a fat chick on a motorcycle :blink:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Sport-tuned for Bullhead? 11 years 8 months ago #12473

Haha, I wasn't really talking about how the car handles though. More that the motors seem to work quite well together. :side:
Edit - a linguistic switcheroo I made there.

I've looked at this page a bit more and the specs are pretty close to that of the RX-540SD Technipower...
No such thing as a Mabuchi 8023 as far as I can see.

:huh:

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Sport-tuned for Bullhead? 11 years 8 months ago #12474

A bigger fat chick on a bigger motorcycle....

Could someone tell me how to link a You Tube video? My point is that I don't think the above Clod handles any worse than a real monster truck!! :)

Last edit: by Edou. Reason: Video link inserted

Re: Sport-tuned for Bullhead? 11 years 8 months ago #12475

Inserting a YouTube video is easier than you'd think - just pasting the web adress is enough. :y:

Edit - and yes, that thing handles like a small boat on a rough ocean. :lol:
Looks like a Pumpkin btw...

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Sport-tuned for Bullhead? 11 years 4 months ago #16746

• SID
  • No Guts No Glory!
  • No Guts No Glory!

I think the general 'rule of thumb' is at a given load an electric motor will draw 6x its operating current during start-up. It is also at this point (0rpm) that it produces its maximum torque and draws the most current. As RPM increases the torque decreases until the load and torque level out. 3x as bad? 3x as bad as what?? :unsure: I understand more load (such as unbalanced motors) will require more current.

In fact, you could argue that you'd be better running a silvercan, than running a tuned motor backwards!

I am not ready to draw this conclusion yet. If all else was equal I would agree, but they are not. The silvercan produces 237g-cm torque@max efficiency, the sport-tuned produces 350g-cm. from memory the silvercan has an efficiency rating in the 50's, the sport-tuned is well in the 70's. And of course the sport-tuned is capable of spinning faster. As an electric motor's actual operating rpm is determined by load vs torque(amongst other variables) I expect the sport-tuned will be the faster set-up. I suppose my question should be whether the extra power of the sport-tuned is enough to counter-act the inefficiencies created by the different timings (with enough power left over to noticeably increase the performance of the truck!!), and if the extra heat/current draw created by the differing motor timings will be a problem. At this stage I still think it is worth a try.
Surely someone can say "I had some sport-tuned motors in my Bullhead or Clod, and it was {better,worse} than the kit motors!!" I suppose we will find out soon. :)

-edit- I will catch up with Bro tonight, I will be interested to hear his perspective. :y:

No thats a myth... and theres no silvercan that tamiya is using today which produces only 237g-cm. I already knew that tamiya overexaggerated their claimed data for the sport tuned motor(i never believed the "350 g-cm" in the first place) since my TXT-1 didnt get any more powerful nor did it get any faster when upgrading from stock motors (ok, maybe a TAD faster)

after some searching i found out that they're about 260-290 g-cm according to several tests made at this site www.rct.jp/cont...ab002.html they also seems to have only around 15,400-17,300 rpm at best eff - while tamiya claims 18,300.

actually the mabuchi 540 round sticker motor with black endbell seems to have more torque than the sport tuned motor www.rct.jp/cont...ab002.html

Re: Sport-tuned for Bullhead? 11 years 4 months ago #16758

From the video it looks like the Clod has independant steering front and rear like full size Monster Trucks. Is that correct?

Re: Sport-tuned for Bullhead? 11 years 4 months ago #16765

• SID
  • No Guts No Glory!
  • No Guts No Glory!

From the video it looks like the Clod has independant steering front and rear like full size Monster Trucks. Is that correct?

original it has 4 wheel steering from one single servo, mounted in the middle... the rear axle often steers a bit better when running forward (and vice versa) :P

Re: Sport-tuned for Bullhead? 11 years 4 months ago #16775

Ha, although, yes, you could make the front & rear steer independently on purpose, the clip just shows the typical amount of slop in a normal setup, & the typical "out-of-the-box" directional indecision from both ends!
Bouncing about sideways like a stoned crab is normal....

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.