Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

brand new in box Monster Beetle body set 11 years 4 months ago #17095

• dreadly
  • dreadly's Avatar Topic Author
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
I have acquired a brand new in box Monster Beetle body set. :woohoo: I want to put it together and paint it soooo badly. Am I better off leaving it in the box? What is the best way to assemble these and paint? I have to done an ABS body for over 20 years! :ohmy:

And I will post piccys ASAP.

Btw the box is a little tatty and its the red plastic kit. My original MB was white plastic. Does this matter?

Not sure why this posted here? It wasn't supposed to! Can a mod move it? Stupid iPad :angry:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by dreadly.

brand new in box Monster Beetle body set 11 years 4 months ago #17097

I have acquired a brand new in box Monster Beetle body set. :woohoo: I want to put it together and paint it soooo badly. Am I better off leaving it in the box? What is the best way to assemble these and paint? I have to done an ABS body for over 20 years! :ohmy:

Btw the box is a little tatty and its the red plastic kit. My original MB was white plastic. Does this matter?

Not sure why this posted here? It wasn't supposed to! Can a mod move it? Stupid iPad :angry:

Early Monster Beetles had white mouldings, later ones were red. Also check the stripes on the decals - early ones have a stripe that's almost orange, later ones are more lemon yellow. IMO only an early body kit in a near perfect box would be worth putting away as an "investment" - past re-releases have shown that anything less than perfect lose money, the value of tat (& I'm not suggesting yours is, just syaing) gets pratically wiped out, whereas the best examples hold their value... I mention it because nothing seems to be safe from Tamiya's re-release program, and the Monster Beetle is very popular ...

You don't have to say how much you paid for the body kit, but bear in mind it could be worh selling on, especially if yo part it out - used nose cones go for 20+ GBP, and I sold a tatty set of decals for over 50 GBP recently :blink:

If you do want to assemble/paint it, I'd suggest ... well, read these & these ;)

Edit - it was 49 GBP + postage for a set of early genuine decals, and they sold in 2 hours ... I probably could have asked a lot more but I felt I was profiteering as it was :whistle:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

brand new in box Monster Beetle body set 11 years 4 months ago #17099

• dreadly
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild

Early Monster Beetles had white mouldings, later ones were red. Also check the stripes on the decals - early ones have a stripe that's almost orange, later ones are more lemon yellow. IMO only an early body kit in a near perfect box would be worth putting away as an "investment" - past re-releases have shown that anything less than perfect lose money, the value of tat (& I'm not suggesting yours is, just syaing) gets pratically wiped out, whereas the best examples hold their value... I mention it because nothing seems to be safe from Tamiya's re-release program, and the Monster Beetle is very popular ...

You don't have to say how much you paid for the body kit, but bear in mind it could be worh selling on, especially if yo part it out - used nose cones go for 20+ GBP, and I sold a tatty set of decals for over 50 GBP recently :blink:

If you do want to assemble/paint it, I'd suggest ... well, read these & these ;)

Edit - it was 49 GBP + postage for a set of early genuine decals, and they sold in 2 hours ... I probably could have asked a lot more but I felt I was profiteering as it was :whistle:

Thats all the advice I needed :) And it's made my mind up that i probably paid too much at

Re: brand new in box Monster Beetle body set 11 years 4 months ago #17106

Dreadly,
I moved your post and the following two replies away from The HP Freak's Toyota Toms thread and made it into its own thread.
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: brand new in box Monster Beetle body set 11 years 4 months ago #17107

• dreadly
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild

Dreadly,
I moved your post and the following two replies away from The HP Freak's Toyota Toms thread and made it into its own thread.

Many thanks, sorry about that :blush:

Re: brand new in box Monster Beetle body set 11 years 4 months ago #17108

Many thanks, sorry about that :blush:

No problem :)
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: brand new in box Monster Beetle body set 11 years 4 months ago #17133

That does sound like a lot, but to put it in to perspective, I paid a lot less for a boxed, part built kit ... but then, the seller was a liar - it was water damaged (the box was still wet & disintegrating), incomplete (missing nose & some other bits), the tyres were rotten, and the body seemded to have been painted with a wire brush :blink:

... So if you were prepared to pay that much, and you actually got what you paid for, it's difficult to say it was "too much" - I'd have rather paid more to get what I thought I was getting, as I'm still annoyed off with it every time I look at it...

What are you doing for a chassis, BTW?

Re: brand new in box Monster Beetle body set 11 years 4 months ago #17135

• dreadly
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild

That does sound like a lot, but to put it in to perspective, I paid a lot less for a boxed, part built kit ... but then, the seller was a liar - it was water damaged (the box was still wet & disintegrating), incomplete (missing nose & some other bits), the tyres were rotten, and the body seemded to have been painted with a wire brush :blink:

... So if you were prepared to pay that much, and you actually got what you paid for, it's difficult to say it was "too much" - I'd have rather paid more to get what I thought I was getting, as I'm still annoyed off with it every time I look at it...

What are you doing for a chassis, BTW?

I have about 6 MB chassis, one of them perfect and original to go with the body set. I will post some piccys. I do need some body mounting posts for my basher beetles though, any idea?
I also have half a frog! Half a sand rover and about 5 or 6 KBF chassis, but the KBF's are all bashers, although some are near perfect. I also have a KBF body with some splits to restore, but I am not sure how to do this yet.

I don't do this hobby for the money, it is therapy :silly:

Re: brand new in box Monster Beetle body set 11 years 4 months ago #17192

That's why we are all here :woohoo: :woohoo:

Proud owner of the Bruiser Family

Last edit: by Manotas.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.