Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

I killed my Hornet diff ...lol 11 years 2 weeks ago #20748

My vintage Hornet didn't like the 4700 brushless combo and 2s Lipo :silly:

I'm ran with the orginal pinion and had heard and read from several others that the pinion and spur is the weakest link...

Not so folks, diff itself and the side gears are the weak ones, altough, the spur and pinion are beginning to get sharp teeths..

Here are the pic :woohoo:

Good thing I have more gear spare parts :laugh:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by caprinut.

I killed my Hornet diff ...lol 11 years 2 weeks ago #20755

I think that's partly down to age, but mostly down to someone using the wrong grease or oil in the past, making the plastic very brittle - no doubt the power didn't help, but I've had the spur and diff gear in a lunchbox (sport tuned motor & 7.2v) disintegrate in a similar manner...

Still, that's an impressive bit of grenading :y: ;)

I killed my Hornet diff ...lol 11 years 2 weeks ago #20756

:pinch: :whistle:
Amazing. I though that the grass, hornet; lunch... diffs was undestructible. Keep the spares for museum :silly: :y:

I killed my Hornet diff ...lol 11 years 2 weeks ago #20810

Congratulations! It takes a special kind of skill to break one of those!
The 'Hopper I had recently (From Martin) had an axle torn off, & the diff in that was only slightly cracked!

I killed my Hornet diff ...lol 11 years 2 weeks ago #20812

Congratulations! It takes a special kind of skill to break one of those!
The 'Hopper I had recently (From Martin) had an axle torn off, & the diff in that was only slightly cracked!

Thank you :laugh:

Changed the diff and it runs fine now, no broken gears..

Problem is tires that dosn't last :silly:

I killed my Hornet diff ...lol 11 years 2 weeks ago #20815

Thank you for testing this out Caprinut!

I have thought of trying a 10.5T "spec" 4200KV brushless and a shorty LiPo on my re-re Hornet.
Now considering high wear, chance of breakage and tire wear, I would rather not B)

Some sources say a brushless closer to 17.5T is good, that might be worth considering.

I have run 7.2V and "black sport tuned" most the time and it is a happy and trouble free option :)

I killed my Hornet diff ...lol 11 years 2 weeks ago #20819

You can fit the downgearing unit from a Lunchbox, that will gear down the rpm so it more useable..

Gonna test Sand Paw tires later for the beach, think that will be more suitable for the car.

With all that brushless power on pavement etc, it's too fast, too powerfull and too tall for the width, making it roll over nearly all the time...

I killed my Hornet diff ...lol 11 years 2 weeks ago #20820

I've got a 9 turn brushless in my grasshopper running on 3s and have yet to kill the gears. Broken several front wheels though. I think it's all in throttle control and ESC setup. I have the drag brake set to 100% and throttle punch set to 2 out of 5. Still have wheelies on demand if there's enough traction.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.