Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Avante ESC and more 11 years 4 days ago #21293

Hi,

I'm just returning to the hobby, well not that I was that knowledgeable on the topic before! I have just got myself an old Avante 2001 and would like to change the ESC from a race one to one that has reverse. I see that there are a few things to take into account with batteries and motors so I'm seeking some advice on what setup to go for.

I'm up for anything but explanations would be useful for the steep learning curve I'm facing being a bit of an electrical luddite.

Any advice on other upgrades too I'll take also. I'll be looking to get another second hand Avante or Egress as second runner (having 2 kids this is a necessity), possibly a third for parts if I don't get a totally different model.

Here's the electrics I got:

Tamiya Black can sprint motor
Futaba MC116 ESC
Acoms IC AS-11 Servo
Acoms AR-227FE Receiver

Any help greatly appreciated!

John

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Avante ESC and more 11 years 4 days ago #21298

I also think I have an issue with distance and the radio gear. I bought a pretty cheap ACOMS TECHNIPLUS 27MHZ am transmitter but the car seems to get a mind of it's own steering wise after about 5m and the motor stutters a bit as if the ESC or servos are not behaving at that distance.

Did I mention I was a bit poo at electrics? :)

Oh and the battery is a new NiMh pack

J

Avante ESC and more 11 years 4 days ago #21300

Sounds like interference on the 27MHz gear. The frequency is prone to this.
The ESC is pretty decent (check here ) but it's probably of a generation without decent failsafes. Ancient, so to say.
Easiest solution if you ask me would be to get some cheapo Asian 2.4GHz gear (transmitter and receiver) for the cars.
The motor's nice but there's a huge selection of options in case you'd like to switch.

:y:

Avante ESC and more 11 years 4 days ago #21302

Since there's a lot of components, there are more ways leading to Rome...

An alternative ESC (with failsafe) is in the same price range as the 2.4GHz gear and might also solve the issue.
The cause of the intereference will still be there though. Just the runaways are over.

(Lack of) capacitors on the motor could be causing the signal interference.

Crystals for the transmitter and receiver might not be the exactly correct match (different brands).

Not trying to confuse... electronics are just a tricky subject.

:whistle:

Last edit: by Edou.

Avante ESC and more 11 years 4 days ago #21304

thats a nice 2.4 ghz remote to start with or the GT2B, you can get more receiver at hobbyking for decent prices.
if you want to swap the esc you could try a Mtroniks.

always test your cars by putting them on somthing with the wheels rotating freely and walk away from them with the remote, easiest way of testing if reception is ok without crashing into something and getting a feel how far away you can get from the car.
The following user(s) Liked this: protean

Avante ESC and more 11 years 4 days ago #21305

I need a new ESC for sure just from a driveability point of view. So if I were to upgrade the whole electrics including motor are there any recommend items or combos I should be looking at (ESC/motor/servos)? Theres just so much to look at ive got electronics blindness (and its a bit late now also).

I get the 2.4 GHz thing but I think I'll stick with what I have until the second car makes an appearance :) It works OK enough for now.

I'm not fussed about running vintage gear particularly so I'm not hankering for a Dynatec or technigold etc. I can embrace the present :)

Avante ESC and more 11 years 4 days ago #21306

Cool, I'll take a look when I can actually see what you've posted :) not showing up here but I blame Apple. I hear Mtroniks talk in other places too so I'll check thm out too.

Cheers!

Avante ESC and more 11 years 4 days ago #21309

It's an e-Bay link...
Do you have an account there? Paypal is also very useful (if you don't have it yet).
Opens the door to go nuts on the hobby though!

Avante ESC and more 11 years 4 days ago #21310

....when I can actually see what you've posted :) not showing up here but I blame Apple.

That is an Apple issue, yes. The Ebay widget is made with Adobe Flash which Apple for some reason has blocked.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Avante ESC and more 11 years 4 days ago #21328

Cool. I'll have to source one from the UK market though. It looks certainly cheaper than the one's I was looking at briefly last night.

I did treat myself to some wheels/tyres from the Black Avante 2011 but that's it, I'll stick to buying whole relics when I can!

Anyway, how's this?

www.mtroniks.ne...8/TT30.htm

some cheaper some more expensive but this should do right?

J

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.