Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Gearbox grease and shock oil 10 years 11 months ago #22346

I was wondering if anyone could advise me of the most suitable grease to be using inside the gearboxes of the cars i rebuild. I have pretty much always stuck with the Tamiya kit ceramic white grease but was wondering if i could buy the same stuff unbranded and in a better quantity than is supplied in the kits? Same goes for the shock oil as im currently out of both and its pretty expensive to buy the Tamiya branded stuff.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Gearbox grease and shock oil 10 years 11 months ago #22348

Anyone :( :whistle:

Attachments:

Last edit: by tamiya nut.

Gearbox grease and shock oil 10 years 11 months ago #22349

:) It is depeding the model:
In my big wheeles1/8th I use 1000000 silicon grease for the 1/10th I use stock grease in kit or when I rebuild I use silicon standard grease, molycote style grease or a citroen body grease.
For the dampers, Some yeaars ago some guys used liquid soap like paic. It is a good "compromis" for standard. It smelts lemon :lol:

Gearbox grease and shock oil 10 years 11 months ago #22356

Ansmann 400 cps oil is the same spec as the standard Tamiya kit oil, it's colourless rather than slightly yellow but you won't see that once it's in ;)

Ceramic grease IDK, the hgih temperature auto stuff is not the same at all, maybe posh bicycle stuff would be? Try using less of the Tamiya stuff - more than a tiny squidge is just a trap for dirt, or will decorate the inside of the gearbox rather than doing any good anyway :)

Gearbox grease and shock oil 10 years 11 months ago #22360

I use either Robbe Fett or Tamiya cera-grease.
Like Jonny mentioned, in really small quantities. Just enough to cover the gears, applied with a small brush.
Coming from really overdoing it...

I'd rather use stuff that was meant for the purpose myself.
Got some generic silicon grease at some point but decided not to use it after all.

Gearbox grease and shock oil 10 years 11 months ago #22363

I use Halfords Teflon Bicycle Grease, it is good value and made for lower temperature operation than Automotive grease and has always served me well. It is £5.99 for a toothpaste size tube too.

Gearbox grease and shock oil 10 years 11 months ago #22364

Eddrick recommends food grade silicone grease. I guess ebay would be the best place to look for this.

Silicone grease is often used for lubricating electrical contacts, so I happened to have some in my work toolbox that I use and it seems to be OK. It's this one from RS.
I've also seen similar stuff in Maplin if you have one nearby.

Gearbox grease and shock oil 10 years 11 months ago #22365

I use finish line ceramic grease and apply that with a plastic tip syringe or a brush.

also got some other grease (BSL assambly grease) that I just got thats a little tackier.

Gearbox grease and shock oil 10 years 11 months ago #22374

Thanks for all the advice :y:

As i live very close to a Halfords i might try the ceramic bicycle grease it certainly seems to come in better quantity for less money

Gearbox grease and shock oil 10 years 11 months ago #22401

I agree with above for my vintage gearboxs. I use Finish Line 100% Synthetic grease (Teflon-Fortified). If its got the white plastic gears inside, then thats what I use.

*I don't work for Finish line, nor do I distribute or sell their product. Its simply what my local bike shop had on the self. Looked good on my bike so I tested it out.*

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.