Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

ESC Shutting down / overheating? 10 years 9 months ago #23774

Hi all

Some help please.
Recently I got a Tamiya Supershot running, but using all new / modern radio equipment. (pics here www.tamiyabase....Itemid=476 )

I have a :-
radio - Flysky FS-GT2B ( www.flysky-cn.c....asp?id=51 )
receiver - Flysky FSGR3E (3channel 2.4G) ( www.flysky-cn.c....asp?id=51 )
steering servo - Hi-tec HS-325HB
ESC - Novatech 84222 Brushed ESC ( www.novatech-tw...guage=_eng )
battery - LRP Wild Pack NiMH 7.2V 1600 ( www.lrp.cc/en/p...k/details/ )
motor - Dynamite DYN1172 15-Turn Brushed motor
am running a 19t pinion - because thats what it had.

I was on bit of a budget and not looking for super high system, just for running around the yard.

What happens is two things:-
1) after a few minutes the car will stop running, just slow down and stop. Then after a moment, it will drive again, for a few moments and then the same, slow and stop.

What I think is happening is the ESC is overheating and has a thermal cut out (it does, instructions say so). The ESC is in the radio box on the Supershot so there is no where for the heat to go.
When it starts doing this, it takes longer for the same to happen when there is no load on it i.e. when I am holding it off the ground.

What can I do to improve the duration? move the ESC? go with the original speed control set up? cooling fins on the motor?

2) with the above set up, how long a battery / run time should I expect? after not very long, it starts juddering and running slower. this after maybe 5 minutes up and down the street. I defiantly expected longer run time than this.

thanks

Hay Ewe

Please Log in to join the conversation.

ESC Shutting down / overheating? 10 years 9 months ago #23776

how is the motor and the wiring doing are they getting hot too? you should be able to still just touch the motor. if it gets to hot you will damage the magnets and it will permanently loose power.

what kind of suface are you running on, with the 15T you probably should get the smallest pinion that fits your car.

edit: have a look at the manual, I think the 19 pinion is way to big and a wrong fit the max mentioned there is 17 so the 19 might cause loads of friction

Last edit: by waterbok.

ESC Shutting down / overheating? 10 years 9 months ago #23777

According to my knowledge, you can only fit the 13-17T range of pinions. :huh:
But a smaller pinion would be the best place to start...

www.tamiyabase....Itemid=476

A guestimate on running time (1600mAh isn't a lot for a 15T motor) :

Say you're having a proper run, drawing 10A...
Capacity of you battery 1600mAh = 1600mAhour = 1600x60 mAminute = 96.000 mAminute.
With a 10A = 10.000mA draw that would give 96.000/10.000 = 9.6 minutes of running time.

Edit - hadn't seen wb's edit yet.

Last edit: by Edou.

ESC Shutting down / overheating? 10 years 9 months ago #23779

Thank you
I hadn't noticed the motor or wiring getting too hot,I did touch it to see.
I just checked the build manual and in the spares area on the back page it does list a 19T pinion. I am not where the car is at the moment so cant check till later.

It did have a Technigold motor in it previosly and judging by the condition it had been driving hard so who ever probably put a 19 in to make it as fast as it could be.

I did get a suggestion else where to get a smaller pinion and also I am going to move the ESC so that it is in the open to get more cooling. (will post pics)

Am running the car either on the bitumen street or out on my block of land with not much grass and hard dirt.

Bit disappointed by the run time, but i have two batteries.

(and these difficulties also caused by old / tired / fatigued parts have been giving me some good things to think about ;) )

Thank you, will advise
Hay Ewe

ESC Shutting down / overheating? 10 years 9 months ago #23806

The 19T is listed in the manual because it is paired with the 17T by part number. But it does not fit the car... ;)

ESC Shutting down / overheating? 10 years 9 months ago #23808

ballbearings! does your car have those and are they still smooth. thats also a couple of minutes more.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds