Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Grub screw badword 4 years 2 weeks ago #59083

• Sam
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Hi,

After another health related absence from the hobby, I'm so happy to finally resume working on a number of projects, one of which is the vintage Rough Rider.
Some months ago I posted here appealing for help in regard to removing grub screws from the rear A arms and pinion gear and greatfully received lots of tips & tricks, from heating to drilling, but for some reason these pesky little things still won't budge.
I've tried 2 different Colbolt drill bits: a 2mm & 2.5mm. But nothing seems to be making an impact. I can vaguely see some mild damage to the inside of the screw but certainly nothing relative to the amount of time I've been drilling these grubs over the last 48 hours.
Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or perhaps there are some other methods or products I can use?
I've been drilling at a very slow speed and have tried both cutting paste and oil.
Has anyone else had these problems?

I hope you're all well and staying safe during these terrible times.

Take care.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Grub screw badword 4 years 2 weeks ago #59085

You burned your drills. Smaller faster. Use a new 2mm and a new 2,5mm drills and drill fast speed with cutting oil or wd40
The following user(s) Liked this: Sam

Grub screw badword 4 years 2 weeks ago #59086

• Sam
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Hi Stingray,

Thank you for the advice. I'll try drilling on a faster setting with WD40.
Much appreciated.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.