Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bearings vs brass bushes on work shafts & gearboxs 12 years 8 months ago #2244

Ideally ball bearings should be fitted on new shafts & into new housings, as I see it. If you fit a steel ball bearing on a worn shaft or in a worn housing, it will probably wear the other components more than a brass bushing would. I read somewhere that its a good idea to fix the outer case of the ball bearing into the housing with araldite (making sure none goes on the rotating parts of course), or to wrap some kind of metal foil round it to stop the ball bearing moving about inside its housing in the gearbox.

Any comments on this? I am wondering whether I might be better using new brass bushes in the old gearbox if the shafts or housing are worn. Not sure about putting araldite or bits of metal foil in - if they come out they might mess up the gears.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Bearings vs brass bushes on work shafts & gearboxs 12 years 8 months ago #2247

Hi,

Isn't it maybe the other way around... that ball bearings will wear faster if they are put in a housing with too much tolerance?
The sideways pressure created through the movement might ruin the balls quickly. :cry:

Can't think of a reason myself why metal ball barings will do more damage than brass... :dry:

Also thinking of my TA01 builds. Especially the bearings in the rear gearbox aren't really fixated at all. :huh:

Re: Bearings vs brass bushes on work shafts & gearboxs 12 years 8 months ago #2255

Hi PaulG
I agree that ball bearings should fit nice and snug in casings and on shafts, usually shafts been metal is not to much of a problem but, I found plastic casings the main culprit for tolerance inconsistency even with new kits. With restorations you will typically run into shafts and casings worn by the old brass bushings. My first order of practice is to replace all plastic and brass bushes with sealed ball bearings because they offer a smoother and more stable operation. When I find a fitment discrepancy on the shafts and casings I use Loctite 641 and it works like a charm. This product is made for curing this type of problem. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Marius

Re: Bearings vs brass bushes on work shafts & gearboxs 12 years 8 months ago #2260

ok thanks for the feedback

I was just thinking that steel wears steel, whereas brass is softer. However, the brass does seem to wear the steel shafts, so you are probably right.

So I'll use the ball bearings then. Hopefully this weekend I can get started :)

Re: Bearings vs brass bushes on work shafts & gearboxs 12 years 8 months ago #2261

PaulG
You should try to prevent any rotation of the bearing's outer race in the casing and inner race on the shaft. It is an engineering known fact that a softer material will wear the harder component.
Marius

Re: Bearings vs brass bushes on work shafts & gearboxs 12 years 8 months ago #2400

Hello Marius

Thanks for the Loctite 641 suggestion. I have ordered some.

Paul

Re: Bearings vs brass bushes on work shafts & gearboxs 12 years 8 months ago #2413

Hi Paul
You can get the 10ml bottle as you will use very little, making sure it does not get into the bearing.
Marius

Re: Bearings vs brass bushes on work shafts & gearboxs 12 years 8 months ago #2427

Yep- that's what I ordered. Thanks.

Btw, organisers, this thread should be in the technical section - my mistake!

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds