Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Gearbox is loud with Traxxas 32 pitch pinion gear 12 years 7 months ago #3066

• jdawg
  • jdawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
I bought a Traxxas 17t 32 pitch pinion gear to go with my brushless motor in my Thunder Dragon. I noticed that after installing the gear it sounds louder when the car is running or even when I spin the wheels. Is this normal? Is it still ok to keep using this gear or should I get a different gear?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Gearbox is loud with Traxxas 32 pitch pinion gear 12 years 7 months ago #3068

Sounds like the 32dp is not a good replacement for the 0.8 module pinion in this case.
The mesh is not exactly the same and a swap is only recommended for low rpm/power...
It will still work (more or less) but the sound you hear will be the reason for fast wear of the gears.
Might be better to get an original one :

Wonder why Tamiya buggy pinions are so scarce on eBay. Since they are still used nowadays... :blink:

Edit - a new lead! Cheaper and even a double delivery. :)

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Gearbox is loud with Traxxas 32 pitch pinion gear 12 years 7 months ago #3077

• jdawg
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
Thanks for the ebay links. I read somewhere that people were using Traxxas 32 pitch gears with no problems so I thought I would give it a try. I just ordered the 17t pinion gear off ebay so I'm looking forward to getting those.

Last edit: by jdawg.

Re: Gearbox is loud with Traxxas 32 pitch pinion gear 12 years 7 months ago #3082

No trouble at all. :)

In some cases a 32dp (instead of 0.8 mod) could work but probably not with the power you have put in your car. :woohoo:
You're a bit in luck with the availability of the size pinion because it's used in the DT-02.

Hope they arrive soon so you can give them a go!

Re: Gearbox is loud with Traxxas 32 pitch pinion gear 12 years 7 months ago #3085

• jdawg
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
I put the stock gear back on for now so hopefully I'll get the new gears in two weeks or less. I was reading the manual and it looks like I'm supposed to use some kind of spacer between the motor and the gear to set the spacing properly. I found the original box for my car but I couldn't find that part. Do you happen to know what the proper spacing between the gear and the motor should be?

Re: Gearbox is loud with Traxxas 32 pitch pinion gear 12 years 7 months ago #3086

Most important thing about that is that the pinion and gear line up.
It that wasn't the case, that might account for some noise too.

With a Manta Ray (for example) there is the opportunity for a visual check.
But I see that is not possible with a Thunder Dragon.

Also make sure you are using the correct hole in the motor mount. ;)
Can't help you unfortunately with the thickness of the spacer myself...

Btw - the pinions you've ordered will be a better match anyway.
Even if the correct distance might have been part of the problem.

Re: Gearbox is loud with Traxxas 32 pitch pinion gear 12 years 7 months ago #3088

So we have a semi-official position on 32dp pinions on TB? - that they're _not_ the same as 0.8 module gears (which is true IMO) and should not be used (though I'm sure a steel pinion will soon "adjust" a nylon counter gear :whistle: )...

Where did this "only recommended for low rpm/power..." come from? I ask because on a certain other popular Tamiya site, recieved wisdom is that Tamiya 0.8 aluminium gears are evil, and should be replaced with 32dp steel pinions before the Tamiya pinion eats the counter gear, and your children.

Re: Gearbox is loud with Traxxas 32 pitch pinion gear 12 years 7 months ago #3089

Just venting my own opinion naturally (not TB's) from a mechanical point of view. ;)

I've heard a lot of bad stories about all kinds of Tamiya pinions. AV should be buttery soft for example.
Never used anything else and never had a problem myself though... :huh:

Hope the Thunder Dragon will becomes less noise either way... :silly:

Re: Gearbox is loud with Traxxas 32 pitch pinion gear 12 years 7 months ago #3210

• jdawg
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
I have also heard that the Tamiya pinion gears are too soft and should be replaced with a steel gear. Well hopefully the Tamiya gears I ordered will last a while but I will also order a Robinson pinion gear because I was told those work well as a suitable replacement to the Tamiya pinion gear.

Re: Gearbox is loud with Traxxas 32 pitch pinion gear 12 years 7 months ago #3213

It seems indeed to be the common opinion that Tamiya pinions wear fast. :huh:
Although I haven't had a problem with this myself...

When doing a visual check on it regularly and replacing it in time, it shouldn't be problematic.
Maintenance would be wise in any case. ;)

The Robinson gear will be a very solid replacement but most of them have a 5mm shaft.
For this there is a "5mm to 1/8 inch reducer sleeve" available so it will fit your motor.

Robinson 0.8 module pinions

The 32dp gear should actually match quite well but these 0.8 mod Robinsons get great reviews. :)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds