Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: 540 "Silvercan" Motor Variations 12 years 2 months ago #7527

• SID
  • No Guts No Glory!
  • No Guts No Glory!

I was reading this page on the 540 "Silvercan" & it struck me as not being very specific - I know there are two different manufacturers & that there are age-related endbell colour/material variations ... but I'm not sure that anyone has tried to document them. Looking at my cars that a) have silvercan motors in them, and b) provenance - i.e. a very good chane that the motor in there was the one it was original supplied with, I found up to 10 variants ...

Yep, theres alot! and probarly WAY more than 10... the early Mabuchi 540 motors came in many different versions and they had plastic endbells, one you forgot was the very early version with a brownish copper color cane and white plastic endbell, then theres this two "PAT" marked plastic endbell motors (one white, one black) and then the Johnson with a thick biege/white plastic endbell as you listed as well. Tamiya is using two different Mabuchis with metal endbells, one with a black endbell(nr 7435035) with a white dot on it and it has a round sticker on the can - this is their most common motor. The other one has some numbers written directly on the can and has a grey colored endbell with a red dot, this is the 7435076 motor.

Tamiya also uses a dull grey version from Johnson (7435079) which has "62227" written on the can and it has a grey metal endbell. This motor sometimes came with spade connectors and is included in "gearbox set 8085153", as well in subaru impreza 58390 & plasma edge 58399. Here's that motor at Johnson website: www.je-motion.c...oduct=1251

The "Johnson metal endbell "A" motor you mention is the popular most wanted "4 slot motor", it started to appear in some kits around late 80's/early 90's such as manta ray, mud blaster, bullhead and bush devil.

The "Johnson metal endbell "C" motor you mention is probarly the 7435043 version, which normaly came with black and red connectors and can be found in F1 kits like 58134. This motor has just like the 540-J, "62200" written on the can.

Both the "Johnson metal endbell "D" and "B" motors you mention is probarly the same one: the 540-J motor (53689/7435044) and is included in kits like txt-1, 58143 Mondeo BTCC, wild willy 2 and wild dagger - however not in super clod buster, as it comes with Mabuchi motors - 7435076.
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro
Last edit: by SID.
The topic has been locked.

Re: 540 "Silvercan" Motor Variations 12 years 2 months ago #7529

Thanks SID - I'll integrate your post (& credit you) in the first post :)

Re: 540 "Silvercan" Motor Variations 12 years 2 months ago #7539

• SID
  • No Guts No Glory!
  • No Guts No Glory!

Thanks SID - I'll integrate your post (& credit you) in the first post :)

Your welcome ;) i dunno if this has been up here before but here's a video of a rpm-tested 4 slot Johnson vimeo.com/3160587 (but i think we have to remember that a fully charged 7.2v battery holds 9+ volts)

and on this site theres many pages of nostalgia ;) are testing ALOT of different motors: translate.googl...8GnvkHUANA

I have a question for someone who may know: do Tamiya making i.e the sport tuned motors themselfs or is mabuchi making them for them? (they share exacly the same endbell as the 7435035 round sticker motor)
Last edit: by SID.

Re: 540 "Silvercan" Motor Variations 12 years 1 month ago #7592

I have a question for someone who may know: do Tamiya making i.e the sport tuned motors themselfs or is mabuchi making them for them? (they share exacly the same endbell as the 7435035 round sticker motor)

Tamiya has never made any motors,they have allways farmed them out. Most people know Mabuchi and Johnson. But Sagami micro motors in Zama is who does all of the other motors.They do OEM for most makers here in Japan.

Re: 540 "Silvercan" Motor Variations 12 years 1 month ago #8004

found this overview on other Tamiya motors. Nice
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou

Re: 540 "Silvercan" Motor Variations 12 years 1 month ago #8046

I'll put the link in the motor specs calculation topic too. :)

Re: 540 "Silvercan" Motor Variations 11 years 7 months ago #12402

Not sure if this is the right place, but...
I have noticed that the motors fitted to Tamiya cars are usually fitted with yellow and green wires and bullet connectors with clear plastic sleeves.
I want to rewire a MSC and thought it would be nice to have the correct wire colours (i.e. red/black to the battery and green/yellow to the motor). I also thought it would be nice to use silicone wire as a bit of an upgrade. So I thought "I'll just buy a few metres each of red, black, green and yellow off eBay and keep some as spare".
Trouble is, there is LOADS of red and black wire there, some yellow but NO green. This surprised me as I thought it would be in demand for just this reason.
Can anyone explain this and/or point me to a good source of silicone wire?

Also, the bullet connectors I mentioned - they look like "3.9mm bullet connectors" as used on many Jap motorbikes (apparently) and are available quite cheaply. www.ebay.co.uk/...27bf32cbd4
Can anyone confirm that they are the same?
Or am I better going with some alternative?

Re: 540 "Silvercan" Motor Variations 11 years 7 months ago #12403

I've haven't been able to find green silicone wire either :( ... although I haven't looked that hard.

You're right in thinking that Tamiya use Japanese Bullet (3.9mm) connectors :y:

I just looked at my usual source ( Vehicle Wiring Products ), but they have a minimum order of 50 of any of the parts ... but 50 of each works out at 13.07 GBP including VAT & postage.

Remember that you will also need a crimping tool with the correct jaws, look at refs D1 or MP71 on the VWP site for an example.

Re: 540 "Silvercan" Motor Variations 11 years 7 months ago #12418

Don't know about silicone wire, but normal green equipment wire (0.75mm csa tri-rated) can be had from Maplins by the metre, & is adequate for silvercans (14 amp rated). I usually just buy 100m reels of whatever size/flavour I want from Anglia Electrical Wholesalers.

I used to buy "Japanese bullet connectors" from Vehicle Wiring Products, (For wiring trikes, rewiring bikes etc) the last lot in bulk about 10 years ago & I've still got loads left. Didn't know they'd stopped selling small orders, bit of a nuisance that!
I've got a proper crimping tool for them, but I only ever use it on "Quick" jobs, I really don't trust crimps on anything important or where they might be in service in dirty conditions or for a long period of time - they're too prone to corrosion-related spurious connection problems. I normally shape the tabs into a tube with pliers & solder them on. This also leaves the option to remove & re-use them if you want to

Re: 540 "Silvercan" Motor Variations 3 years 10 months ago #60090

Hi I'm looking for a vintage motor that fits A vintage sand Scorcher. Does anybody knows if the attached one is good? Thanks
Attachments:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.