Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Vintage 58036 Chassis First Aid 10 years 10 months ago #22611

To super glue or not to super glue... this is my question!

My 58036 Audi Quattro Rally chassis has some cracks which need repairing where the previous owner had heavily 'globbed' super glue (or some other nasty resin) which I have now cleared away.

These are vital areas on the chassis that require strength, so is there an application or technique that can be applied? Otherwise I'll super glue and attempt to sand smooth with Dr Dremel.

<p>Current projects:</p>
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Porsche959Boy.

Vintage 58036 Chassis First Aid 10 years 10 months ago #22612

I think a 2-part epoxy would be a better bet :)

Vintage 58036 Chassis First Aid 10 years 10 months ago #22626

:)Super glue is not a good solution with a running car. The better is like jonny said, the 2 components epoxy like araldite. but not the fast gluing. The slow gluing version is harder. :y: And you can sand and drill it not the CA. ;)

Last edit: by stingray-63.

Vintage 58036 Chassis First Aid 10 years 9 months ago #22996

The Quattro & Willy chassis respond well to being solvent welded (With "Polystyrene cement" model glue, industrial ABS pipe cement etc) & holes/gashes can be infilled using the same with "Plasticard" ABS sheet, or another trick I use is polystyrene foam (Cups etc) dissolved in a puddle of model glue to form a filler paste. Works far better than glues or fillers that only stick to the surface of the plastic.

Other option is the old soldering iron plastic heat welding trick - don't heat it any more than just enough to melt the plastic though, if it looks wet it will cool brittle.

Have a look at my Quattro radio lid, Quattro & Willy restos to see what it comes out like.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.