Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fox Decals 11 years 10 months ago #9875

Hi can anyone give me some good advice on repro decals for a fox resto as i want to avoid getting stung by dodgy ebay repro's on white vinyl

Regards

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Fox Decals 11 years 10 months ago #9881

Unfortunately, all the good reproductions I have tested are no longer available due to Tamiya contacting them.
By reading the feedback of many of the current ebay sellers of repro decals, they might not be worth the money...
Things to look out for:
white vs clear vinyl
waterproof ink?
precut? if so how well done?
Correct colurs (i've seen repros from now gone respected sellers having really wrong colours, usually faded)
Colours printed on top of white? (like professionals do)

This one is on white vinyl, and the feedback is not too good..

This one, on the other hand, looks to be good, judged by the feedback.

Then, there are originals available also:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Last edit: by larbut.

Re: Fox Decals 11 years 10 months ago #9887

Thanks for the great info Lars seems like a bit of a minefield with the reproductions so i may spend a little extra cash and opt for the originals as it would be a shame to spoil the finish for a little extra money.

Regards

Re: Fox Decals 11 years 10 months ago #9888

Nowadays i only buy original decals, due too the fact that all available repro's just are sooo terribly bad quality it really doesn't do your restored tamiya any good...
Just save up some money and go original...

Cheers, Bram
Restoring Countach 58005
Restoring 58015 RR
Restoring 58098 F40
Restoring King Cab and Monsterracer
Restoring Audi Quattro rally
Restoring Mk.1 Sand Scorcher
Restoring Porsche 936

Re: Fox Decals 11 years 10 months ago #9892

the thing about doing the stickers, unless you can sell a lot of them, you are not going to be able make any decent money back on selling a few decal sheets if you do them properly (redo artwork, test for correct colours etc equals many hours of work). I own a signage shop, so I am luckier than most in that I can pretty much re-make any decals I need, and I've bought or downloaded many decal sheet scans. Even then for the limited number of decals I've made so far, I've spend a number of hours getting the artwork right and then testing colours etc, where as many repo sellers will just print off from what they've found on their home printer. But in saying that, digital wide format printers are getting better, with new machines having the ability to print and cut, print white and print metallic colours as well. So if you are after decals that you can't get, you still have an opportunity to get a set. But unless you can get buddy buddy with the shop owner and know how to re-do the artwork, you will pay a lot more than current ebay prices to have a few small sheets printed properly. So for the average collector, ebaying original decals will be the best option.

Given the copyright issues surrounding repo sellers, I have thought the next best option is for a database for people to submit cleaned up artwork too. As going to your local sign shop and asking for a printout of that, as its for personal use, would probably be within copyright limits.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.