Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Not Tamiya I know :) 12 years 1 month ago #8476

Finished building the top decks for this today so thought id post some pics. The big challenge was matching the curvature of the roof sections but i managed to do this by clamping the wood on to the braces i manufactured while the glue hardened and they have taken better than i could have hoped. I fitted some trims around the edge of the front section to match the original trim that was already on it and it fits in perfectly. Im pretty chuffed with the outcome considering its my first effort. I have really enjoyed working with wood its very rewarding. I just need to wet and dry it all over now with some fine paper before painting. Thinking of going with a diamond jubilee theme on this red white and blue :laugh:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Not Tamiya I know :) 12 years 1 month ago #8477

looking sweet mate, have you decided on how you are going to power it yet?

Re: Not Tamiya I know :) 12 years 1 month ago #8479

cheers agemax i was going to stick the original motor back in as it looks very old and suits the boat but i will be using a msonik waterpoof esc to run it with a two channel receiver and acoms as12 servo for the rear rudder i think. im dog sick of sanding now though just done another hour on it think ill prime it next then hand paint it. looking forward to sailing this one :)

Re: Not Tamiya I know :) 12 years 1 month ago #8482

Just be a bit careful running a vintage motor with a modern ESC - the high frequency pulses generated by the ESC can 'shake' the windings loose on really old motors as most aren't as tightly wound as modern ones. If it would come apart, I'd suggest a thin coat of nail varnish over the windings, just to stop them vibrating loose. A lot will depend on how 'aggressive' the frequency generation of the ESC is, ie how 'coarse' the squealing noise it makes at low speed - the coarser it is, the more damage it's likely to do. What you really need is a vintage transistorised ESC, similar to the Hilux one (These are analogue & produce a stepless output at less than full speed, ie the volts/amps are varied rather than pulsing the power at varying frequency) OR use a mechanical controller, OR change the motor

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds