Keyword

TOPIC:

Not Tamiya I know :) 12 years 2 months ago #8340

I went around a few antique shops this afternoon to kill a few hours of boredom while the wife was 'shopping' and noticed this very old boat at the back of one of the shops looking very dusty and unloved. I do have an interest in rc boats so decided to have a little look at it and found it was scratch built and done very very well. The hull is excellent and must have taken someone a long time to build so i decided to take it home and make a little project out of it to see if i could make it sail again. The cabin structure will need the roof replacing and i plan to sand it all down and give it a new colour scheme and replace some of the electrics inside it as they are ancient. Not Tamiya i know but i was wondering if anyone knows anything about boats and was wondering if anyone could identify the motor in this as it looks very old? Hopefully the pictures turn out ok.

Thanks

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Not Tamiya I know :) 12 years 2 months ago #8342

I haven't a clue about boats but it looks like a very nice project to do. :)

Re: Not Tamiya I know :) 12 years 2 months ago #8345

Yeah its a lovely old boat and the shop owner practically gave me it on the promise id rebuild it and sail it :laugh:

I wanted to test the motor so took it out and connected up a battery pack and it runs well but the prop shaft seems a little gummed up so i have to figure out how to remove the inners to regrease them it seems to have a lock nut assembly at either end but i dont have any spanners that small they are tiny. if anyone has done this before id appreciate any advice.

It will have to go on the backburner for now as im pressing on with my beetle build at the moment.

Re: Not Tamiya I know :) 12 years 2 months ago #8348

i have 2 boats, one is an off the shelf electronic boat. the other is a Krick Avanti 2.
very rare, but not really worth much. the electrickery is not much different to a car.
i use a Mitroniks marine ESC with a 540 motor, a standard Acoms receiver and a tamiya servo for the steering.
i am no expert but i know a bit about boats :blush:

Re: Not Tamiya I know :) 12 years 2 months ago #8350

Nice boat .. but nasty wiring - looks like a switch from a cheap lamp & a rheostat to contol speed ... I wonder if it's ever been RC, might have just been a case of setting the motor at a putt-putt speed, setting the rudder to a wide turn & waiting for it to come back :huh:

Re: Not Tamiya I know :) 12 years 2 months ago #8352

Played at fixing bait boats, so I can tell you that the prop tube needs to be grease-filled to act as a seal to keep water out. It's also important to get the backlash right when you put the shaft back in, for the same reason, & to stop it knocking about & making a racket. I can also tell you that the scale models usually use 4 or 5 pole 400 series motors for lower speed & more torque, & these are usually happy running smoothly at much reduced voltage, to give more scale speeds without a reduction gearbox. Bit of a nuisance cos I've just sold a vintage Sanwa 2ch radio & 2A boat ESC that would've been perfect for it

Re: Not Tamiya I know :) 12 years 2 months ago #8353

Eddrick there is no "backlash" on the propshaft. it is a flexi drive, AKA a piece of rubber tube that connects the propshaft to the motor

Re: Not Tamiya I know :) 12 years 2 months ago #8354

I think eddrick meant how much the inner shaft is free to move up & down (rather than around) in the outer ... I'd call that "end float" myself, as "backlash" usually means gear spacing?

Re: Not Tamiya I know :) 12 years 2 months ago #8355

I think you may be correct JR i dont even have a clue what a rheostat is though :(

I have taken out the propshaft which was difficult to remove because it was rusty as badword inside but should clean up lovely now its out ill try to repack it with grease once it goes back in.

The rudder just dropped off in my hand i think it had been bent and straightened but the metal was damaged so it was weakened but hey i can get a brand new one for under a fiver from feebay.

Tried stripping the paint with some paper tonight and it is falling off the hull so easily. it looks like it was primed but the paint not keyed in properly to the undercoat....well that and age i think.

I plan to spray prime it and spray the whole thing a different colour not sure what though yet. I do have some nail heads showing through now however in the hull so im not sure how to deal with these should i fill over them then sand it all level?

Bonus is i found a waterproof esc that i forgot i had in a drawer so i just need a receiver now and im good to go i think? esc is good for motors up to 35 turns according to the packet will this do the job do you think. the motor is very small like a 380 from a grasshopper.

Re: Not Tamiya I know :) 12 years 2 months ago #8357

should all work fine mate. you may need to fabricate a battery holder to keep it secure.
yes on the propshaft, you need a tiny bit of end float but not too tight, lubricate with water proof grease

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds