Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

A beat up old Frog 12 years 2 months ago #8429

• Antmax
  • Antmax's Avatar Topic Author
  • No Guts No Glory!
  • No Guts No Glory!
Some kid was selling a "Hornet chasis" on craigslist for $15. Looking at the photo I knew the chasis was a little too complicated so I nosed around and realized it was probably a Frog. though I was a little confused by the black space frame.

Anyway, I only just got into the RC thing again after almost 30 years. Bought a re release Sand Scorcher a couple of weeks ago. Which I'm currently building. Don't have radio gear or transmitter. My neighbor donated a 8.4v traxxas battery. My scorcher is too good to beat up though I will be driving her, but when I saw this frog I couldn't resist. Even has most of whats needed to run, other than body, wheels and a reciever. Getting a flysky next month (all I can afford) with an extra reciever. So all good.

I guess I'm going to have to restore this baby from the ground up. Get rid of that awful black paint job on the frame. Get some new wheels which is great since the scorcher shares the same wheel type I can get road and grass tires and swap over depending on where and which vehicle I drive.

So quite pleased with my $15 purchase. Both servos feel ok, Gearbox dif works, motor still turns, suspension is ok if a little soft feeling in the front.

Building my sand scorcher took me back to being a kid, and breaking the frog down and rebuilding her will most likely be quite rewarding.

Now I just have to figure how to remove all the old paint, source some wheels and tires and a new body :)

Here is the photo from the craigslist ad.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: A beat up old Frog 12 years 2 months ago #8431

Welcome on board Antmax :)

re the paint stripping, I've had luck with De-Solv-It brand Grafitti Remover on hard plastics, but AFAIK that's still not available outside the UK, but either brake fluid (DOT3) or caustic soda (e.g. oven cleaner) should do the trick :)

Re: A beat up old Frog 12 years 2 months ago #8432

Welcome Antmax. :)

It could be that the chassis originally came in black and that it was for a later model...
I'm not sure which ones had what colour exactly though.
Hope you have fun building the car and that you'll share some of it on line. ;) :y:

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: A beat up old Frog 12 years 2 months ago #8438

With brake fluid you sometimes have to be REALLY patient - doing a Holiday Buggy chassis at the mo, it's been in brake fluid 3 days now & the paint is only just soft enough to get off with a soft scourer, gave up wuth a toothbrush. I've also had stuff with enamel paint on it that literally disolves straight after applying the fluid.
Personally I wouldn't do the oven cleaner thing - my Mu had been subjected to that & the plastic has gone dry & crumbly, which made it near impossible to repair with solvent cement

Re: A beat up old Frog 12 years 2 months ago #8444

• Antmax
  • No Guts No Glory!
  • No Guts No Glory!
I had a quick try with the brake cleaner and it's not going too bad. Much of it came off without a soak even but I have a sticky mess and ran out of time since it was my lunch break.

I think another couple of goes like this and some hand and brush cleaner will probably finish off the job. thanks for the suggestions guys.

The frog came apart pretty easily and thanks to the manuals on this site I won't have much trouble remembering where everything goes later. I have one of those organizer trays and basically split the car up.

Some further investigation of the gearbox etc shows its already fully ball raced which is nice. the rubber boots have rotted somewhat at the ends and one of the step screws for the suspension was replaced with a tapping screw and sleeve. Otherwise it all looks pretty good. Once I get those space frame pieces cleaned up I'll take some photos.

Also painting my Re-release sand scorcher body. I think my wife has a lot of patience :) the two cars have taken over the house but she hasn't seen me this happy in a long time lol. So as far as she's concerned it's worth it. Lets hope her enthusiasm lasts.

Re: A beat up old Frog 12 years 2 months ago #8447

HI!... I do a lot of restorations. Especially on AE RC-10'S. For some reason back in the day everyone painted the RC-10 parts. :angry: Anyway the best product I have found is called CITRISTRIP stripping gel at HomeDepot. I have only found it at the USA HD's. Here in Canada they don't carry it. This stuff works great and never harms the plastic.

www.homedepot.c...reId=10051

Re: A beat up old Frog 12 years 2 months ago #8467

• Antmax
  • No Guts No Glory!
  • No Guts No Glory!
I bought a quart of citristrip today and gave it a quick go. MUCH nicer than using brake cleaner. Didn't get that unhealthy feeling from noxious fumes. this stuff is a bit weird, turns the paint into something like chewing gum lol.

Anyway, working well so far. Will give it another go tomorrow, git in all the nooks and crannies.

Re: A beat up old Frog 12 years 2 months ago #8472

HI!... Whatever you don't get it on your hands!!!!!!!!!!! Will remove finger prints! LOL! The best way to use it on small parts is to pour a bunch in a plastic container. I usually take a 4L plastic milk jug and cut it in half. Totally submerge the parts in it and let it sit for a few hours. Then scrub under running water with a small brush (old toothbrush). Make sure you wear latex gloves or rubber gloves. If some paint is still left then repeat the procedure.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds