Keyword

TOPIC:

Is TamiyaClub dead? 7 years 6 months ago #40727

Well I have just got a email to activate my account

What!?!?!?! I still got nothing :(
<p>16 Tamiyas and the limit is reached (per the boss).... So I have to rotate to maintain that number.</p>

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Is TamiyaClub dead? 7 years 6 months ago #40728

Just tried logging in still no joy

Is TamiyaClub dead? 7 years 6 months ago #40729

Bummer, maybe one day we'll get in..... lol
<p>16 Tamiyas and the limit is reached (per the boss).... So I have to rotate to maintain that number.</p>

Is TamiyaClub dead? 7 years 6 months ago #40730

Tried changing my password it says email recognised
But account not cleared yet

Is TamiyaClub dead? 7 years 6 months ago #40733

I leaved TC a lot of years ago. I didn't find any interest from the community and I found Tamiyabase with passionate and friendly members.
The following user(s) Liked this: TommieG

Is TamiyaClub dead? 7 years 6 months ago #40737

I leaved TC a lot of years ago. I didn't find any interest from the community and I found Tamiyabase with passionate and friendly members.

I like the site, just in my quest to buy NOS parts I try to go to any place before fleabay so TC has some good stuff for sale and good articles.

Is TamiyaClub dead? 7 years 6 months ago #40749

Hey so Andy from TC got me setup! Apparently I've been a member since 05'

Neil, it looks like there are to places to log in, the site itself which uses your email but if you go to the forum section you login there with your username.... maybe that'll help.

MUD

Is TamiyaClub dead? 7 years 6 months ago #40750

Yeah it's not dead but Netsmith has been rebuilding the whole site for a while now and it has been broken on and off and he and Twinset have at times been hard to reach. For it being a hobby running Tamiyaclub - much like Tamiyabase is for Larbut, which is also an invaluable resource - I know I wouldn't be able to figure out how to put the time in to keep things maintained... so despite the bumpiness recently I'm sympathetic. We're all spoiled by other free online services that are provided by businesses like Facebook, Google and Microsoft, etc... and even those sometimes aren't perfect. For being the work essentially of just one guy each Tamiyaclub and Tamiyabase are both pretty impressive. It's got to be a lot easier to maintain something like an R/C group on Facebook... where you aren't responsible for building and maintaining the entire site.

Anyway - I recommend sticking with it to anyone who has had trouble joining. Is it a perfect site? No. Do I get in trouble in the forum A LOT from time to time? Yes (to be fair, they are on the prudish side). But it's a great thing to be a member of, and no one place has everyone. Plenty of people I know are on TC and nowhere else.

Is TamiyaClub dead? 7 years 6 months ago #40753

You never get in trouble Beef lol
The following user(s) Liked this: beefmuffin

Is TamiyaClub dead? 7 years 6 months ago #40765

You never get in trouble Beef lol

LOL, yeahhhh well the evidence of my getting in trouble gets deleted quickly most of the time. ;-)

I've been on probation for a while before where all my posts had to be approved before going up. It did give me a better sense of TC's limits on expression to avoid being banned. So now I just know when to not write something I think is hilarious but will get me banned. I think there's some loss of energy there, having to do so much self-censoring, but I'm a guest in someone else's house so I understand respecting their rules. Even though I wish I could use my Ron Jeremy beer-hat pic as my TC avatar (I tried).

One thing I find frustrating is the complete and utter ban on any mention of reproduction parts, bodies, decals, etc. Literally, if you write TBG or Team Blue Groove they will get bleeped out the same as if you write a string of expletives. They do this to try to avoid getting in trouble with Tamiya specifically, but then they go way past that and don't allow the discussion of getting old Parma bodies reproduced, or Marwan's excellent Kyosho stuff, etc, etc.

I've personally donated two original bodies to TBG for them to make reproductions of; the Traxxas Cat body/wing they sell was made from originals pulled from an ultra-rare NIB unassembled kit. The mold-making process requires a new, uncut, unpainted original body and most Cat bodies came RTR (cut and painted). The only version I had to donate was an Mk2 type with the hood scoop. Later on I got my hands on a NIP Mk1 body also and offered it to them but they decided one version of the Cat was enough for them. Luckily MCI Racing make decals for both Mk1 and Mk2 bodies... so now people can restore and run their Cats when before it was next to impossible.

I couldn't write any of that on the TC forum, which I think is a shame since it has nothing to do with Tamiya (I'm sure Traxxas doesn't care about someone reproducing Cat bodies) and knowing how to help share and make things more easily available, etc seems like something worth discussing in the community.

The other body I've donated that they haven't started selling yet is the original Parma Wells-Coyote for the Hotshot. A lot of folks expressed interest in the body but wouldn't bother paying $50+ to try it out. When TBG sells them for less than half that I bet we'll start to see a bunch of them show up in TC showrooms and forums, etc and that will be really cool.

Currently I'm working on getting my hands on a NIB Super Sabre body set (I sold all mine) so I can donate the subwing. I had wrongly assumed TBG's omission of the subwing was a decision about keeping the Super Sabre body they make simple. As it turns out, they explained to me after I saw an old TBG subwing pop up somewhere that they used to sell it but their mold got ruined. Once I get them the original they'll be able to start including one with their Super Sabre bodies. I'd say half of all the Super Sabre restorations I've seen are using repro bodies and missing the subwing... so people will be able to sort that out. That's pretty exciting to me... but again, I can't say any of that on TC... so I've been spending a good chunk of time lately on Facebook groups that I'd otherwise be spending on TC. BUT TC is still great.

I've never really gotten into the forum here on Tamiyabase because it just seemed like too much to keep track of posting heavily in more than one place... but I use Tamiyabase constantly as a reference, as it's way better for that than TC. I've also donated a thing or two to Lars to help this site as well (exploded parts list scans IIRC) and would like to do more of that.

Speaking of which, Lars if you wanted to add them to your downloads feel free to grab the PDFs of every issue of RC Car Action magazine from inception to 1999 I've got saved on my Google drive: drive.google.co...ldhWEZfM1E

They (RCCA) are the ones who had originally made the scans available years ago, and by doing so put them into the public domain. Now they don't have them freely accessible any more but that doesn't prevent the sharing of what they'd already freely disseminated. #NotALawyer
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, TommieG

Last edit: by beefmuffin.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.