Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How old is vintage? 6 years 5 months ago #46628

I'm not saying I don't have any interest in cars later than that, but for me 1987 would be the cut off. It's not a rolling 30 years though - it's the year I put away childish things ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

How old is vintage? 6 years 5 months ago #46631

I'm not saying I don't have any interest in cars later than that, but for me 1987 would be the cut off. It's not a rolling 30 years though - it's the year I put away childish things ;)

I completely agree with you Jonny on this.

The Vintage denomination is relative (at least in my opinion). For me vintage are the models, like Lars already said, that had something special from the past and represents the best of it's kind.

The question is : what is the best of it's kind?
what is the past?

Once again, the best of it's kind can be a specific model for some guys and another for me.
The past is another thing.... also completely relative. The past of a RC enthousiast born in the 90'ies or even 2000 doesn't has the same past as a guy born in the 70ies. Well that's my opinion but i will not establish a new relativiy theory:laugh: :laugh:

Vintage means for me : the first 100 Tamiya models and, like Jonny said, the year i putted away childish things.
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family

How old is vintage? 6 years 5 months ago #46637

I never did get around to putting my childish things away ;)
At least I have kids now so have an excuse. :)

How old is vintage? 6 years 5 months ago #46638

- it's the year I put away childish things ;)

Yes, I can see how well that is working out for all of us :laugh:

But there is truth to what you say. I was hard in R/C till about that same time 86 - 87 then got sidetracked by other things, mostly real cars and girls, school, work......sort of the story of life. I normally tell people now "I don't want to grow up...I tried it once and did not like it!" :P
Sometimes when I look at the things I am interested in and seeking out or collecting, it seems to be stuck around 1984 or so, like I am trying to recreate my world at that formative age or something. There were some big changes in my world then and some part of my brain seems happiest there.....don't know how else to explain it....hmmmm Getting back the toys I had and even the ones I didn't but wanted. I tell myself its just fine...it's not heroin, and my wife always knows where I am, so no worries.

I appreciate your answers folks, it makes me think more about the shape of my collection and other things. B)
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

How old is vintage? 6 years 4 months ago #46857

Well, I think it all depends on how old you are. For example, a few months ago I was at a car show when a couple of 16 year old boys started talking to me about my 40 year old car (which I feel is old given the fact that im in my 30's). After some talk, one mentioned that he loved old cars, old electronics and especially old music. He favorite oldies were Nirvana and the Beastie Boys. I walked away.

How old is vintage? 6 years 4 months ago #46860

Owww, that hurt....I feel your pain brother, I am now working with "kids" who born after Nirvana and Kurt were gone.......yep that hurts..:( doesn't seem like it was that long ago really but........
I suppose we were not much different at that age though ;)
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.272 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.