Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tamiya Chassis Kits 3 years 4 months ago #62969

Good Day all
Just getting back into building
I do have, I guess it's a stupid question....
I see Tamiya sells "chassis kits" , some for a lot of money.

How can I figure out what bodies fits these chassis?

Thanks so much

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Tamiya Chassis Kits 3 years 4 months ago #62974

Look at the wheelbase.

Most chassis's and bodies are depending on the wheelbase to line up.
Width is not that important as offset on wheels can change the track width if there is enough space to do so.

Example, most Tamiya touring chassis's have 257mm wheelbase, so most 255-260wb bodies will fit, even by other brands.
Bodypost is another issue, most chassis families have several body post shapes to fit different bodies, so you may find something that fits if going aftermarket with bodies.

And Tamiya tend to stick to 190mm width class bodies for their touring cars.

And if you are looking on M-chassis bases, they have S (Short) M (Medium) L (Long) wheelbase wich is 210,225 and 239mm wheelbase.
These are smaller so they have a width of 165mm.
So if you are finding a body you are liking, pay attension to the wheelbase and then buy the chassis with tthe right wheelbase.
For some of these M-chassis is built up by adding or removing a middle piece, or spacer if you will, so with those bits in hand you can build several different wheelbase configurations.
The MF-01X chassis is also M-chassis based, but with 4x4, and can be built to different wheelbases, by changing the chassis spacer and buying the right driveshaft length to suit the different wheelbase if choosing to build a different one than out of the box spec.

And lastly the M-chassis ones have numbers like M02, M04, M06 etc, these are rear wheel drive.
M03, M05, M07 are front wheel drive.

Hope that helped a bit along :)

Last edit: by caprinut.

Tamiya Chassis Kits 3 years 4 months ago #62975

Thanks Capri!
A lot to digest...but that's the fun, right....

Be well, be safe
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.