Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hotshot et al Bumper stay. 10 years 9 months ago #22826

Hi all, just curious about which bumper stay was used on each Hotshot-style car. This is what I know/assume at the moment-

5847 HOTSHOT - I think the bumper stay should have threads in each end for a 6mm screw to hold it to the gearbox housing. I do not know what colour this stay should be, or if it is used on any other cars. Unfortunately I believe this part is missing on my Hotshot, which is why I have started this thread. It is also possible I am looking for something which does not exist.

SUPERSHOT - Silver? It is silver on my Supershot and on two semi-complete cars my brother owns.

BOOMERANG - Gold? Gold on my Boomer.

BIGWIG - Gold. Seen it on a new-in-box car.

BOOMERANG 2008 - Silver. I bought one new so I know this is correct.

I am mostly interested in what should be fitted to the 5847 Hotshot and if any other cars used the same part. And it appears they were silver, gold then silver again so it has aroused my curiosity. Hope some others can help. Cheers.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by vara351. Reason: spelling

Hotshot et al Bumper stay. 10 years 9 months ago #22829

If it aids your quest, I can tell you that hex part is brass with a clearance hole on the Bigwig, and aluminium with a clearance hole on the re-re Hotshot.

I also looked at the manuals for the Hotshot, Supershot, Boomerang, Hot Shot 2, Super Sabre, all show the bumper stay as having a clearance hole & being fastened with 3mm x 27mm machine screw & an M3 flange nut, though of course they don't show the material.

I then thought the mk.1 hotshot might be different - according to TC ( here ), it is.

:)

Hotshot et al Bumper stay. 10 years 9 months ago #22830

Hi Jonny, thank you so much for the link, it has answered my questions and taught me a little more about my own car. I was unaware there was a mk1 and mk2 Hotshot, and I now know my car is a mk2 with the mk1 style floating resistors. The manual I downloaded from TB is for a mk1 car, hence the difference in the bumper stay and its attachment screw/screws. Thankfully I do not need to source a rare vintage part for my car to be correct.

I will copy a post written on the linked page by Rosey in regards to the bumper stay - "It is also interesting why Tamiya kept changing the material used for the bumper stay. They went from Aluminium to Brass for the Hotshot, just Aluminium for the Supershot and then back to Brass for the Hotshot II!!!"

And then we have seen it change back to aluminuim for the re-release kits!!

Hotshot et al Bumper stay. 10 years 9 months ago #22841

They didn't go backwards in material the Hotshot 2 came out before the original Supershot or was it Super Hotshot back then any how I think it was Hotshot Hotshot 2 then Supershot witch was basically a much improved Hotshot.

The brass mount for the bumper is a lot stronger than the alloy one as the alloy one can tend to strip the screw right out of the mount on hard impacts also if you have an original hotshot bumper you can tell as it has 3 holes in the middle of the bumper think about swapping it out for the hotshot 2 one as the early hotshot bumpers were a softer plastic and not as tough as the later ones with out the holes

Hotshot et al Bumper stay. 10 years 9 months ago #22842

No, the Supershot was released about a year BEFORE the Hotshot II.

Hotshot et al Bumper stay. 10 years 9 months ago #22843

yea my mistake :(

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.