Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

FF-03 History 1 year 7 months ago #72525

If you thought my history of the TRF 500 series line was obscure, I have even more esoteric knowledge for you.  As I consider how to rebuild by destroyed RC collection, I am starting to focus on unusual chassis types I have never built before.  I've never built any of the front wheel drive models in the FF series (although I have built some FWD M-chassis cars) so I've been looking into those.  I found the huge number of FF-03 options very confusing.  Which is better, PRO or EVO?  What about the FF-03R?  How do they compare to the upgrade set?  While searching eBay I found a seller in France selling a lot of 6 FF-03's covering a wide range of customization options.  It was quite expensive, but I figured I will keep the one I like the best and probably sell the other 5 and break even.  Here's what my research found concerning the difference between the models.

FF-03 (58467):  never available as a standalone chassis but first released with Castrol Honda Civic body, configurable to short (233mm) medium (245mm) or long (257mm) wheelbase, front motor, stamped metal motor mount, plastic CVA dampers, plastic tub chassis, lateral front dampers with cranks, ball differential, 3 gear transmission, 4-wheel double wishbone independent suspension, turnbuckle upper links and steering rods, dog bones, ball bearings

FF-03 PRO (58463): starts with standard FF-03 and adds machined motor plate, aluminum tie rods, TRF shocks, this came out at the same time as the regular FF-03 and seems to be the slightly more deluxe version for sale without a body

FF-03R (84288): starts with FF-03 PRO and adds gear differential, aluminum suspension mounts, CVD axles, aluminum hexes, carbon battery plate

FF-03 Upgrade Set (84314):  starts with standard FF-03 or PRO and adds carbon chassis with twin vertical plates, carbon steering stiffener, aluminum steering cranks and bridge, aluminum suspension mounts, aluminum tie rods, inboard front suspension

FF-03 EVO (84354):  starts with FF-03 R and adds metal drive gear, carbon motor stay, inboard front suspension, aluminum steering cranks and bridge, carbon upper and lower chassis plates, carbon shock towers, double cardan axles, aluminum rear bulkheads

So the PRO, R, and EVO seem to all build on the previous model making the EVO the ultimate version.  The upgrade set, on the other hand, is it's own thing which is different from all the others and is arguably just as deluxe as the EVO in it's own right.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by blakbird.

FF-03 History 1 year 7 months ago #72526

FF-03 (58467):  never available as a standalone chassis but first released with Castrol Honda Civic body, configurable to short (233mm) medium (245mm) or long (257mm) wheelbase, front motor, stamped metal motor mount, plastic CVA dampers, plastic tub chassis, lateral front dampers with cranks, ball differential, 3 gear transmission, 4-wheel double wishbone independent suspension, turnbuckle upper links and steering rods, dog bones, ball bearings

Bought one in 2011, I guess, implemented with some upgrades (TA04 dampers, 3Racing gear diff) but never felt in love with her. It lays neglected in a Ikea box.
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by jeekelemental.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.