Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Hello! 11 years 8 months ago #11866

My thundershot wheel base is 255mm with a track of 200mm. do you think a sand scorcher shell is worth a try then?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Hello! 11 years 8 months ago #11870

I don't have the 'shot or a Scorcher shell to double check at the mo, so I wouldn't like to say definately yes or no, but measuring my Rough Rider (Same chassis as the Sand Scorcher), it looks very promising - wheelbase is within 2mm so that'd definately work, but the track is narrower. To check, where are you measuring "Track"? I ask as different people have different ideas of where it should be measured. Theory says it should be measured at the midpoint of the bearings in the hubs, I measure in the midpoint of the wheels, other people measure elsewhere....
Measuring "Track" as a midpoint between the rear wheels of my Rough Rider, I'm getting about 180mm. If you're measuring the same place, it looks like the wheels will stick out from the Scorcher shell, a bit like the Blitzer Beetle (Personally I don't mind that look).

If I were you, I'd have a look & a think about how best/easiest to mount a "Car/Truck" type body on the 'shot chassis before laying out any serious dosh for a body. I've said it before, but if you're stuck for material ideas, have a look in B+Q as they usually have a rack of various section sizes/types/materials eg plastic, ally, brass, steel, & even if you don't buy something from there, it might help give you some other ideas

Re: Hello! 11 years 8 months ago #11875

Hi,
I'm working on an updated Models Database, which will include wheelbase and Track (en.wikipedia.or...Axle_track)
The Scorcher has:
Wheelbase 250mm
Track front 170mm
Track rear 175mm

Thunder Shot:
Wheelbase 264mm
Track front & rear 200mm

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Last edit: by larbut.

Re: Hello! 11 years 8 months ago #11897

Tell you what Lars, that's a fantastic idea & would be really useful for those wanting to mount different shells on their chassis

Re: Hello! 11 years 8 months ago #11901

That's indeed a great data resource. :)
Looking at those dimensions, I think the biggest trouble with fitting that Scorcher shell will be the rear wheel clearance.

Re: Hello! 11 years 8 months ago #11905

That made me go back & double-check, but no, my Rough Rider is definately
253mm wheelbase (Steering straight, suspension uncompressed)
170mm front track
180mm rear track (Measured at axle centreline height-wise due to camber)

Scorcher shell fits the Rough Rider (Should do, it's the same chassis)
Perhaps Gripper107 can have a double-check of his wheelbase then, cos Lars says the 'shot's is nearly 10mm different to what was measured (264 vs 255).

A genuine Scorcher shell might be an issue with the 'Shot's suspension travel (Wheels might clip the arches when the suspension compresses), but if the shell's a repro, there should be less fear of trimming the arches narrower so the wheels clear (Or mount the body higher?). OR, go for the Kamtec Baja Bug shell & hack the arches off completely

Re: Hello! 11 years 8 months ago #11911

Hi, i'm still getting 255mm for the wheelbase, i measured from the centre of the rear wheel nut to the centre of the front wheel nut. is that right?

also the axel track i measured from the centre of the tire to the other centre, theres a mold line on the tire that i used. 200mm front & back.

theres a couple of thundershots on ebay at the moment with different shells on them, they certainly havnt taken into account of suspension travel.

Last edit: by Gripper107.

Re: Hello! 11 years 8 months ago #11914

I would personally have a go at it. It would certainly break some ground...
There's more than a few 1/10 custom bodies but I haven't seen a Scorcher.
Looking around, I think the wheelbase is only a few mm off.
After all, the difference can be divided by the front and rear wheels.

Re: Hello! 11 years 8 months ago #11915

Gents,
The numbers I listed are Tamiya's own, but I will try to figure out what the basis for the dimensions are...
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: Hello! 11 years 8 months ago #11918

...I think the biggest trouble with fitting that Scorcher shell will be the rear wheel clearance.

I'd be more worried about the (effectively) square ends of the chassis clearing the nose & tail ... I can't help thinking a more traditional buggy shaped body would work better, something like a vacformed repro Rough Rider shell?

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.