Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New member in North Carolina.... USA 12 years 10 months ago #1684

Hi all,
Checking in from Central North Carolina.. Greensboro to be exact. I only have two Tamiya RC kits, both 58036 Audi Quattro rallye. One is painted like the '82 Ivory Coast car of Hannu Mikkola and Roland Gumpert, the other is built but the body is unpainted and I have a set of NOS decals for it. Thinking of whether to finish it, leave it alone, or sell it. Can't decide. I've been collecting scale die casts for years as well, and have many in scales ranging from 1:18, down to 1:87... mostly 18th and 43rd. I still have my Associated RC-10 gold tub that I bought new as well.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by awdaudi.

Re: New member in North Carolina.... USA 12 years 10 months ago #1685

Hi, and welcome to TamiyaBase.com!
The Marlboro theme Audio looks stunning! I have never seen a 58036 built anything but box art :-)
If you decide to finish the second one, be aware that the big decals are a challenge...
Is that RC10 as nice as it looks from here? It looks mint??

Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: New member in North Carolina.... USA 12 years 10 months ago #1687

Hi - welcome! :)

Great car that Audi!
If you're not sure about what to do with the second one, I'd just hold on to it for now so you won't regret anything later. ;)

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: New member in North Carolina.... USA 12 years 10 months ago #1688

Hi, and welcome to TamiyaBase.com!
The Marlboro theme Audio looks stunning! I have never seen a 58036 built anything but box art :-)
If you decide to finish the second one, be aware that the big decals are a challenge...
Is that RC10 as nice as it looks from here? It looks mint??

Lars

Thanks... I loved that livery on the real car,

so I decided to take this shell which was poorly painted by the PO and make it into this. The decals are hi-res scanned and enlarged from the Studio 27 set for the 1:24 kit. There are a few that aren't in the kit that were on the car based on pictures so I made those myself. I need to re-do the Castrol ones on the hood because they were inadvertently wiped with a damp cloth and they smeared because they were printed with a regular color inkjet printer. I would like to do them on a laser printer and then clearcoat the entire thing so i don't have to worry about it.

The RC-10 is fairly well played with actually. That is the original body and the original paint job I gave it as a 13 year old. ;) The bottom is scraped from running it on streets and concrete driveways but it's solid as they come. The front wheels and tires are new, as they were replaced before I put it back on the shelf. I got a little overzealous when I got it out to show my son and I hadn't run it in 20+ years. I built a fairly large dirt jump and after taking the thing repeatedly it finally gave and one of the original wheels snapped.. :evil: I have a NOS shell that I plan on painting as close to box art as I can...

Re: New member in North Carolina.... USA 12 years 10 months ago #1689

Hi - welcome!

Great car that Audi!
If you're not sure about what to do with the second one, I'd just hold on to it for now so you won't regret anything later.

yeah, that's my intuition...if I sell it I'll regret it later, but I don't really need two of them, and the goal is to have a 1:1 scale urquattro in the garage....so I could certainly use the cash towards that...that is, if I don't spend it on bills first.

Re: New member in North Carolina.... USA 12 years 10 months ago #1691

hi awdaudi - nice paintwork, like the RC10 too :)

re the unpainted Audi ... I guess it depends on how you look at it - an "investment", a nice object to look at, or something to drive & enjoy ...

If you see it as an investment, or something to be sold on, then don't paint it - the more original it is, & therefore more valuable - I wouldn't have thought there'd be a _huge_ difference in value unpainted vs painted, but I know I'd rather have an unpainted one (to paint myself) & would pay a premium for it.

As you've already guessed, if it was mine I'd paint it... then I'd drive it (carefully) a couple of times, then put it on a shelf to admire.

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: awdaudi

Re: New member in North Carolina.... USA 12 years 10 months ago #1695

thanks for the comments Jonny. I don't know what to do with it but that's exactly why I haven't painted it yet, as much as I'd probably enjoy looking at it that much more with it painted and decal'd-up.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds