Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hi! 1 year 3 weeks ago #74931

Hi everyone!

So back in 2021 for my birthday, I got this TT-01E, which came prebuilt, with a white '95 Cobra R body on it. It looks just like my dad's '96 Mustang (he built his for autocross) and is easily the nicest/fastest R/C car I've ever had. (yes the '95 has the wrong taillights. I may print new stickers someday, we'll see)

Initially I kept it to pavement only, but I live out in the sticks, and there's snow on the ground for ~6 months of the year here, so I decided to go rally mode with it this year.

Got some nice Yeah Racing 60mm shocks/springs to give it a lot of lift (but keep the stock suspension), the Yeah Racing steering mod (aluminum bits and gives you the ball joints, as well as adjustable toe and center). Obv I swapped out the differential cups so the driveshafts don't hit the control arms. I also put the stock tires back on because the track/racing tires were not good tires in the snow. I also packed axle bearing grease in the diffs to give me effectively a limited slip front and rear.

That was going really well; I built some inner fender wells out of a couple of juice bottles to cut down on the snow getting into things, and it was really becoming wicked. I was super impressed with how it was doing, then the Esc started doing the thing where it stops because of low battery or heat on one run, so I pulled it in, as I assumed it was the battery (the Esc has never gotten hot on me before). It still ran just fine at that point.

Next time I went to run it, it would steer, but otherwise would not do anything. I assumed the ESC got reset or whatever, so I took it back inside, but it never came back. The LED never comes on; nothing.

Went to buy a new one (TBLE-02S), but they're out of stock/discontinued. Now I'm really not sure what ESC I should buy, because I really liked the way this one was programed. It seemed to have ABS (which, given that you're using the motor, is pretty easy; just don't allow it to lock up the motor), obv had brakes, and reverse, and had a good curve. However, I WAS and do plan to still jump it around and get some snow/dust/etc. in the tub.

Most/all of the waterproof ESCs I've seen are for crawlers and have bad curves and no brakes, etc. What should I be looking at for an ESC? Is there a good deal I can get on a new ESC and a brushless motor (to replace the stock "Torque Tuned" brushed motor), and have a faster/more efficient setup?

Thanks in advance for any insight! At this stage it's  just for fun; I'm not competing anywhere or anything.

Current specs:
-TT-01E chassis
-white 95 Cobra R body
-ball bearing kit
-Yeah Racing 60mm shocks (for pavement I'll probably put the shorter, stock springs on the Yeah shocks to lower it back down but keep the valved shocks)
-NiMH battery (not real special)
-split 5 spoke wheels+ race tires (off Amazon; don't remember the brand; only on for on-road use)
-Yeah Racing steering kit
-some trimming done to allow more suspension travel
-otherwise pretty much stock
TT-01E
'95 Cobra R body
The following user(s) Liked this: Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Lemsko, Ducksnuts

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Hi! 1 year 3 weeks ago #74932

The mustang is one of my favorite bodies I have the american flag version. For your esc, I bought several cheap esc on  wish or ali express .
they are very efficient same with "big motors". Or you can find hobbywing esc for low price.

Hi! 1 year 3 weeks ago #74933

Cool, thanks! Any of those available on Amazon? I ask mostly 'cause I've got a bunch of gift cards that're only good on Amazon.

What kind of output should I be looking for?
TT-01E
'95 Cobra R body

Hi! 1 year 3 weeks ago #74934

Sure! You'll find on amazon I'm not a pro about the esc but tamiya kits are now sold with hobbywing esc .

Hi! 1 year 3 weeks ago #74935

Quickrun or similar name I'm not sure.

Hi! 1 year 3 weeks ago #74938

Sweet!

Sorry for all the noob questions--before this one, my R/C cars have all been more or less Walmart specials, so it's awesome to have one with a suspension and truly serviceable/upgradeable parts. Of course that means you also have to do your research...

Oh, also I'm ok with soldering the Tamiya battery wires into the existing ones on an ESC if there's one that'd be perfect except for that.

I'll look into those, thank you! I just had zero clue where to start/what to look for in an ESC.
TT-01E
'95 Cobra R body

Hi! 1 year 3 weeks ago #74939

www.amazon.com/...NrPXRydWU=

Sorry for the long link. That one looks pretty good; does it have brakes though? Being designed for boats I dunno if it would...

Actually this one is probably a better option...
www.amazon.com/...121&sr=8-2

Any recommendations on a brushless motor? I wouldn't mind a little more power (not that it's lacking power too much now, but on the top end it just kinda stops pulling). Or is it normal for ESCs to have a brushed mode like my old one did? Can I just get a brushless ESC and keep running this motor until I decide to buy a brushless one?
TT-01E
'95 Cobra R body

Last edit: by white90smustang.

Hi! 1 year 3 weeks ago #74940

I should also probably note that my ESC+motor budget is $40-$60 tops.

Sorry for all the questions lol--would this setup work? Obv I'd have to wire in the Tamiya battery plug, but I've got some experience with that on full sized cars and I'm not too worried about it. It LOOKS like a decent combo but I just dunno. It would make me feel better if the motor wasn't sucking in little rocks and stuff through the vents in the bottom.
TT-01E
'95 Cobra R body

Last edit: by white90smustang.

Hi! 1 year 3 weeks ago #74942

I have a bdse ( first link) and is very efficient. Quicrun is very good . You just have to plug your motoron the esc. No need to solder wires.

Hi! 1 year 3 weeks ago #74943

Hello fellow Ford man 

The 1060 esc won't work with brushless motor as it is for bruhed only.
Needs a brushless esc to run brushless motor.

Here is a brushless combo www.amazon.com/...198&sr=8-8

You also need a lipo battery with Deans or T-plug as they is often called.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.